Disgusted At The Lfs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jenste

Resurrecting the Passion of Fishkeeping
Reaction score
Was at the LFS getting cat supplies and water conditioner and can never resist popping into the fish room.

I was shocked to see a very tiny kritter keeper with a handful of small dyed african clawed frogs. SUBMERSED into another tank!

I went to an employee and pointed it out and the fact that they had no access to air. She said "Oh the shipment just came in. I'm sure they are fine. When they are really little they still have gill things inside to breathe water." I replied that infact they do NOT. She refused to remove them from the container unless I bought them. I don't have the space for 8 ACF right now, especially since they were charging $!5 each for the fact that they were dyed!

I tried again and again but she said she would mention it to her boss and that was the most she would do.

You can't see them that well, a few were at the top of the container near the lid. They are in a 10 gallon with other dyed tetras etc.

IMAG2059.jpg

IMAG2060.jpg

whenever people don't want to listen to me about doing their job, i like to start saying things like "....report you", "...press charges....."  "..better business bureau..." it either really makes them mad or they do something about the problem lol

thats terrible about the poor little frogs. the lfs in my town has tattooed mollies with hearts and "LOL" on them. its disgusting.

The only funny thing I see about this now is why do they hire people that suffer from brain damage? Lol, The LFS I go to have all taken stuff in fish care etc and know there information which is the main reason it's always full when I walk in.

It killed me to leave them there. I just didn't have the funds or space for them. And I know that any I buy will just be replaced by more in the next order.

That's terrible! Disgraceful that they dyed them, you know some little child is going to come along "look mum a pink froggy!" and it'll end up in a 10 litre un cycled tank until it dies :(

Am I the only one who thinks dyed fish don't even look nice? Poor guys :(

I think they are hideous. The dyed and tattooed fish are nothing compared to a naturally colored fish like some of the tetras, rainbowfish, cichlids, discus, even livebearers.....there is already a nearly overwhelming assortment of colorations and patterns to choose from....why add in false neons?

didnt know it was even possible to dye or tattoo a fish. how come they dont die ? would have thought the chemicals involved would have caused some real damage

A lot of fish and frogs do die during the dyeing process. These are the ones who have managed to survive. Most of their immune systems are effected for life and they are more susceptible to diseases. Generally they never live as long as a non-altered version of the same species.

I have 2 african dwarfe frogs and love them to bits just the way they are. must admit, they just tend to chill out in the rocks lately ?

there are a bunch of LFS's in my area to choose from, but the ONLY one that have people that know what they're talking about is about 35 minutes from my house, and i always go there, and there are always other customers there too. You think the other ones would catch on and realize they might get more business if their employees knew a thing or two. or gave a hoot for that matter. 

That's... horrible! I mean that's beyond stupid! I HATE dyed fish, frogs, anything. It's so bad for them. :(

Disgusting. Fortunately I've never seen dyed or tattooed fish in Australia but I do believe they are around. If ever I see them I'll most definitely raise it with the shop keeper.

To be honest, it's really for the best that you didn't buy them. All it would do is put money in their hands for this terrible practice and they'll just buy more in so they can suffer too. All it does is encourage bad practice while other, honest, knowledgeable fish shops suffer.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back