Decisions - New Fish?! Help Me Decide!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mrstwalker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So, my hubby really knows how to get me, by contributing to my aquarium addiction, he made a deal with me that if he didn't have to go to a dinner party then he would buy me a new tank and a new betta. Naturally, I gave into my addiction, and hubby didn't go to the dinner party, so now I get a new project! Yay!
wink.png

There have been a few bettas I have considered, which are Dumbo bettas or Halfmoon bettas or a cross of both. 
I currently have a beautiful crowntail male betta that I rescued from wal mart. When I got him, he was so scrawny and fins were so small. He now is HUGE and is the king of his 10 gal. aquarium with his cory cat friends. And while I love "rescued" bettas, I'm looking to purchase a betta that is guaranteed quality.  

So all of you betta lovers, what is your take on the Dumbo or Halfmoon bettas? What are your likes and dislikes? Would they make a good breed to try my luck in breeding bettas? 

** On a side note, what are your opinions on the betta plants you can buy at pet smart or petco? They come in small bulbs and you supposedly just put them in the water and they grow? 

THANKS!

Dumbos can be beautiful and you can find them in a variety of tail shapes. However, the ones I have seen in the chain stores look horrible. Their fins are too large (the pectorals) and are often bitten. The dumbos kept in those awful cups seem to have more severe cases of fin rot. But if you can get them from a reputable breeder, they might not be this way. And the ones from PetsMart and petco may eventually look healthy again with quality water. But you also have to take into consideration that if your betta nips his tail, he can get his pectorals too.

I love halfmoons. I have had several beautiful boys with this tail shape. I've had female halfmoons as well. I think they are gorgeous (I love a handsome black copper OHM), but because they do have such heavy fins, it is very important to be sure your fish can swim in his tank and won't get caught in the filter. You'll also have to be extra sure that he isn't in poor water as this leads to fin rot. The fancier the fin, the worse the rot can get. You'll also need to be aware of tail nipping. You can get some amazing halfmoons off aquabid. If you are willing to pay for the shipping, bettaakapes (I believe is the name) is a wonderful breeder/seller from Thailand. I've ordered from them before with fantastic results.

I'm not sure what bulbs you're referencing, but bettas like broad-leaves plants. Mine is fond of my anubias congensis as well as my amazon compacta. He also enjoys a few of the ferns I've got closer to the surface.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back