The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mrstwalker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My beautiful sunset/wagtail platy is at wits end.. 

I came home from an all day outing to find my male platy drained of color (black tail now white/clear..red faded on body) and hovering near the top of the tank. 
i believe i spotted some ich on his mouth, so my husband and i tested the pH ect. on the tank, adjusted the water accordingly and treated the tank with an ich tablet & salt. 

Ive had this platy going on 3 weeks now, he didnt come from the BEST pet store but was very very healthy, my tank was completely cycled when he went in. 

I have quarantined him in the tank

Also added an small, slow flow air stone to add more oxygen to the tank

I NEED ADVICE!!! 

I'm no expert on these matters but those who are will probably ask you for the water parameters and what you mean by "adjusted the water accordingly". Adjusted for what and how? Hope you're able to save your Platy!

I would like some information as to what 'adjusted the water accordingly' means. Generally, the only water adjustment we recommend is a water change. Fiddling with pH, hardness, etc are more advanced considerations, and is only necessary for very specific species. Most species available at the local fish shop will be just fine at the vast majority of water parameters from your tap.

I fear that the fish may be struggling because of a 'yo-yoing' effect in the pH if you are adding pH up and/or pH down in an effort to maintain your water at a specific pH.

It could be related to ammonia or nitrite poisoning, so please include the stats in your next post. As well as pH, temp, nitrate, recent additions, tank mates, tank size and any other details you can think to add.

adjusted accordingly meaning the pH was very high for platys, so we brought it back down. which it is testing fine now. SO this morning, the platy was PERFECT. healthy and swimming around, all his color back, i think he may have a bit of ich still but i will treat it again soon. i dont know what was wrong with the poor fella

oh and i am out of ammonia test, but i will test nitrate, hardness, and pH again tonight

What was the pH and how did you lower it?  How often do you have to 'adjust' the pH?

Incidentally, if you had high pH and ammonia was present, that may have been the issue.  Ammonia at high pH puts more of the ammonia in the toxic form (NH3) rather than less toxic (NH4).  So that might be the issue, as well.

I keep my tank around 7.0 - 7.2 (good for community tanks) I only need to adjust every 2 weeks or so. 

thats good :) also im happy that he's swimming around again :D 

mrstwalker said:
I keep my tank around 7.0 - 7.2 (good for community tanks) I only need to adjust every 2 weeks or so. 

Platies can handle a wide range of pH.  Personally, I'd suggest letting your tank remain at its 'natural' pH.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back