"Dead Live Rock" in Freshwater?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hamsnacks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello,

Looking at decorating my aquarium, tank accessories are pretty expensive. My neighbor currently has about a 100 pounds worth of Live Rock, which he's willing to sell for maybe 1/10th of the price in store or online. I've read some threads stating if you put the live rock in Bleach for about 24 hours, and then boil them that should be enough to kill everything on the rocks.

Wondering if anyone has ever actually tried it and how it went, or if they tried a different route.
Or just your opinions on the whole thing.

Thanks

I've never sterilized live rock intended for SW to use in a FW tank, but the procedure you describe should kill any organisms on/in the rock. I'd use a 50/50 bleach/water solution. Additionally, it is unlikely any SW bacteria would survive long in FW.

I'd use a 50/50 bleach/water solution

If you are using Bleach, you must soak the rock in a bucket of clean water and dechlorinator for a few days to make sure you get rid of the bleach from all the nooks and crannies I suggest you also put a power head in the bucket. I would use at least 5 times the recommended dose of dechlorinator.

Also be aware the rock may contain a lot of calcium and that could mess with your PH.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'm going to go a different route just to be save and the rock won't look as good once their colors go as well.

You've made the right decision. Many bacteria in marine systems could not survive in freshwater, so that while still another concern is not likely the most significant.

Never use bleach on porous items like rock or wood, as it is impossible to get all of it out; this could leech out for months. And never boil rock as it may explode.

The salt in the rock could possibly leech out for years, and while this might not be a lot (depending upon the volume of rock and the tank water volume) it is still an issue and could be fatal.

Hey, buddy. It goes without saying, that cleaning the fish tank is one, but you might get dangerous worm into the tank through live rocks or coral colonies. If you get rocks for your aquarium coming from the Pacific there's a high chance of getting them so be careful from where we buy this kind of stuff. So I think, that it would be better if you will buy new one. Moreover, they don't have huge price, so you won't spend a lot, but you will be sure, that your fish will seam well and be alive. If you still don't want to buy new ones, then ask the professionals in this area - https://arcreef.com/live-rock/live-rock-guide/ , I hope they will answer your question. Hope It will help you, man.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back