What's new

Dark worms in my White Worm Culture

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Duke_Silver

Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I purchased a white worm started culture. Overall they culture has been doing well and generally thriving.

However, recently I have been noticing these smaller, dark colored worms that appear to be segmented within the culture. They appear to be completely distinct from the white worms.

Other information: Yes, the culture did unfortunately come with small flies, similar to fruit flies, but a little larger. I have not noticed mites yet.

Anyone have an idea why these worms are, and if they are something I should be concerned about?

Attachments

• IMG-0318.JPG
    IMG-0318.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG-0319.JPG
    IMG-0319.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 230
Hhmmm...I don’t really think you should be worrying about anything, as long as the white, and black worms aren’t in your fish tank. :)

Hhmmm...I don’t really think you should be worrying about anything, as long as the white, and black worms aren’t in your fish tank. :)

Lol, well I mean, the white worms are being specifically raised as food for my fish, and I’ve been removing these little black worms as I see them. Was hoping to see if anyone would know what they are and if they’re harmful to my white worm culture

Well I wouldn’t necessarily feed the black worms to the fish. I would remove them as you see them. :)

insect larvae. take them out and feed them to something or put them in their own culture and see what they grow into.

insect larvae. take them out and feed them to something or put them in their own culture and see what they grow into.

That’s been my guess too :) I suspect they’re related to the flies I’ve seen.

Planaria are small, white flatworms that thrive in aquariums that have not been cleaned properly. Many freshwater fish enjoy eating these worms. Although the worms are not harmful to the fish, the conditions in which they thrive can be fatal. Planaria can even get into the gills of fish, causing irritation. While filling your tank with Planaria-eating fish can take care of a few worms, the overall conditions that allow Planaria to grow must be treated so no harm will come to the fish.

Is Planaria what you have in your culture? :)

True, I was thinking that his culture was under water. :)

So to follow up on this. No my white worm culture is the standard culture (coconut fiber kept moist).

I contacted the seller who I purchased the culture from. He indicated that the smaller darker worms are likely due to the small flies that unfortunately also lost be in the culture. He mentioned that they are harmless and you can just remove them or feed them to the fish as you would with the white worms.

I personally have just been removing them as I see them.

Thanks for all the help folks!

They were/are most likely the larvae of fungus gnats that all too often may infest white worm cultures. They are annoying, but are harmless and can be fed to fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back