danios aren't eating and swimming frantically

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hi again.
I have 5 Danios and 2 of them aren't eating much... (Either none at all or 1/2 bites)
It started yesterday morning. (I feed them 2 times a day)
What I did: I've separated them to another tank, put in some decors to make it feel like home. I fed them 5 times today. One of them ate several bites but not much. That other just swam around.
Another problem... After I moved them to a new tank, they swam around frantically (at least I THINK they are)... Basically they are just swimming very quickly but still not eating.
Any help will be appreciated 😊

Ps: will put this in the 'emergency' thread in 5 days
Another ps: in case you want to know the gender... 1 male, 1 female. The male (flipper) ate a bit but the female (sushi) didn't
Sorry for the weird names hahaha

Thanks
Update: the male just ate a drowning house ant (black ones). I dropped one more in and he gobbled it up almost immediately 😆 should I continue? I saw some people saying it isn't good since ants may pinch the fish but... What do you think?
Btw, Im feeding them tetra discus crisps atm. (See the pic below)
I dropped one in and they ate it (very very slowly) but after I dropped the second one, they refused to eat

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-12-22-08-46-05-66_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-12-22-08-46-05-66_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 37
Sounds like they want you to feed live foods.

As the tank isn't cycled you will need to large daily water changes. What exactly is your filtered water? Is it bottled?

put ants in freezer for an hour to kill them, then defrost some and feed to the fish.

post pictures of the fish from the side view, not above

Sounds like they want you to feed live foods.

As the tank isn't cycled you will need to large daily water changes. What exactly is your filtered water? Is it bottled?
It's like those home filtered water... It's from the tap but it went through filtering process already. Idk how to explain hahaha. I clean the mud (and things that got filtered from tap water) once/twice a month.

put ants in freezer for an hour to kill them, then defrost some and feed to the fish.

post pictures of the fish from the side view, not above
Oooo got it. Time to kill some ants to save my fishes 😆😆

Will send pics soon. Thanks for your help man

It's like those home filtered water... It's from the tap but it went through filtering process already. Idk how to explain hahaha. I clean the mud (and things that got filtered from tap water) once/twice a month.
So it just purifies the water, but it is not softening (removing calcium and magnesium by adding sodium ions) it?

OK, I think it is OK, we have a different water treatment/ supply here. I am glad this is tap water so it will not be too expensive to do the water changes needed for the 'fish in cycle' - see the link in post #12. Does your tank have a filter (ie. HOB, internal cannister, sponge)?

Hopefully the swimming frantically was due to ammonia in the water which you will be changing daily, and the not eating was because they didn't like the food, let us know if the problems continue.
Good luck with the frozen ants - I hope they enjoy them!

Post test results when you get the kit.

OK, I think it is OK, we have a different water treatment/ supply here. I am glad this is tap water so it will not be too expensive to do the water changes needed for the 'fish in cycle' - see the link in post #12. Does your tank have a filter (ie. HOB, internal cannister, sponge)?

Hopefully the swimming frantically was due to ammonia in the water which you will be changing daily, and the not eating was because they didn't like the food, let us know if the problems continue.
Good luck with the frozen ants - I hope they enjoy them!

Post test results when you get the kit.
I was doing water change 2 times a day. 20% each time... Until now, that is... I do a 50% once a day water change. Haven't bought a filter yet. Gonna buy next year. Still saving for it haha

I had a hard time catching ants 😆 never thought it was THAT hard to catch them.

Sure. I will definitely post the test results.

Thanks

The male wouldn't stand still for a pic 🥴🥴 I ended up taking a short video and screenshot'ing' it. Will try to take a clearer one soon

Attachments

• IMG_20211222_230151.jpg
    IMG_20211222_230151.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20211222_230133.jpg
    IMG_20211222_230133.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 36
Update: I got the female to eat! Turns out, she's scared of me :> so what I'm doing now is crushing the crisps into powder form, dropping it in, and walking away. Then, I turn on my cctv and watch her eat hahahaha
The male eats sometimes but prefers ants. If I don't feed him ants for the whole day, he will eat the normal food but only a tad bit

That tank isn't even 1 USG....you are upgrading soon?

Oh and my other 3 danios are doing great! They always play with their food though... Spitting it out then eating it again... Sometimes the food will get snatched and it looks like they are playing soccer 😂

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back