danios aren't eating and swimming frantically

lize

Reaction score
Hi again.
I have 5 Danios and 2 of them aren't eating much... (Either none at all or 1/2 bites)
It started yesterday morning. (I feed them 2 times a day)
What I did: I've separated them to another tank, put in some decors to make it feel like home. I fed them 5 times today. One of them ate several bites but not much. That other just swam around.
Another problem... After I moved them to a new tank, they swam around frantically (at least I THINK they are)... Basically they are just swimming very quickly but still not eating.
Any help will be appreciated 😊

Ps: will put this in the 'emergency' thread in 5 days
Another ps: in case you want to know the gender... 1 male, 1 female. The male (flipper) ate a bit but the female (sushi) didn't
Sorry for the weird names hahaha

Thanks

Hi again.
I have 5 Danios and 2 of them aren't eating much... (Either none at all or 1/2 bites)
What I did: I've separated them to another tank, put in some decors to make it feel like home. I fed them 5 times today. One of them ate several bites but not much. That other just swam around.
Another problem... After I moved them to a new tank, they swam around frantically (at least I THINK they are)... Basically they are just swimming very quickly but still not eating.

Another ps: in case you want to know the gender... 1 male, 1 female. The male (flipper) ate a bit but the female (sushi) didn't

Thanks
Update: I fed them 3 very tiny flakes. The male, flipper, ate one of them. But the female, sushi, didn't. She was resting at that time
Another observation: when sushi is resting, flipper swims as usual (normal pace) around sushi. But whenever sushi moves, I think flipper is chasing her and they tend to speed up until sushi rests again
Quite entertaining if I wasn't worrying about them...

What are the water test results? For the original tank and the new tank.

Test your water quality for ammonia, nitrite nitrate and pH.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate.

Post pictures and video of the fish.

Update: I fed them 3 very tiny flakes. The male, flipper, ate one of them. But the female, sushi, didn't. She was resting at that time
Another observation: when sushi is resting, flipper swims as usual (normal pace) around sushi. But whenever sushi moves, I think flipper is chasing her and they tend to speed up until sushi rests again
Quite entertaining if I wasn't worrying about them...
Sounds like matingbehaviour

Test your water quality for ammonia, nitrite nitrate and pH.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate.

Post pictures and video of the fish.
Test kit will reach my house soon (bought it online)

Just did a water change. I'll update you.

Videos coming soon :)

Thank you!!

Last edited:
Hi again.

Thanks
Update: the condition of 2 of my fishes are improving... They took a bite of the food but spat it out 😆
For those of you who asked me to test the water... Can I have an alternate option? The kit isn't going to arrive as quickly as I expected. Needs about a few weeks. My fishes may not be able to handle it for that long

And btw, I did 75% water change and gravel cleaning. Wasn't as dirty as the other tank with the 'better' fishes since they didn't eat, leading to almost 0 poop. Like I said, their condition improved but still not enough to be placed with the others in another tank.
Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help

What kind of water conditioner are you using?

test the water... Can I have an alternate option?
In the absence of tests you can do daily large water changes to ensure that no ammonia/ nitrite is building up, and to keep nitrate low. It will reduce disease pathogens in the tank.
How long has the tank been set up. is the tank cycled?

In the absence of tests you can do daily large water changes to ensure that no ammonia/ nitrite is building up, and to keep nitrate low. It will reduce disease pathogens in the tank.
How long has the tank been set up. is the tank cycled?

I got my fishes 7 days ago hahaha. No, it's not cycled... It's a new tank. And they were up for7 days only.
Ps: this is my second batch of fishes. First batch died 7 years ago

Not using any. The guy at the aquatics store says I don't need it cuz I'm using filtered water. (Those that you can drink straight away)

Pls let me know if I should buy it. If I do, it will most prob be the api one

Not using any. The guy at the aquatics store says I don't need it cuz I'm using filtered water. (Those that you can drink straight away)

Pls let me know if I should buy it. If I do, it will most prob be the api
pictures and video of the fish?
Ehm I don't think I can put videos but here's some pics

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-12-22-08-42-41-56_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-12-22-08-42-41-56_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_2021-12-22-08-42-28-74_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-12-22-08-42-28-74_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 47

Most reactions

trending