Croaking Gouramis

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

elisew

I don`t count sheep to get to sleep, I count fish
Reaction score
I`ve been trying to decide on a centrepiece for my 360ltr, the guys at MA have suggested the Croaking Gourami and I wondered if anyone has experience of them?
Gourami haven`t really 'flicked my switch' so far but.......never say never ;)

What size do they get to? Are they a peaceful, community fish?

All info appreciated :)

I`ve been trying to decide on a centrepiece for my 360ltr, the guys at MA have suggested the Croaking Gourami and I wondered if anyone has experience of them?

I wouldnt look to have them as the centre piece in a 360ltr as they only grow to about 2 - 2.5 inches i think they would be a bit lost in a tank that size. they are peaceful and good in a community though.

Thank you Tonym B-)

I honestly know absolutely nothing about them, I would have read loads had I thought they`d be an option for my tank so that I could learn about their requirements. You`re right though about that size, definitely not a centrepiece size so maybe just an idea for some other time :)

There nice enough there more 36ltr than 360ltr in my opinion if i was stocking a tank that size i would definately look at some kind of SA or Central American Cichlid as the centre piece, although there are plenty of gouramis that would grow big enough to be a centre piece in that tank im actually quite shocked the chap even suggested them giving the size of your tank you would need about 20 for them to make any kind of impact.

What fish do you keep?
We might be able to give a few centerpiece fish ideas.

Hmm, not a good idea at all then huh :rolleyes: :lol:

I do have German Rams and a pair of Apistos, along with danios, harlequins, celebes rainbows, neons, rummys and corys as well as my bn plecs but they`re all what I consider 'standard size fish' if you get what I mean?

I`ve considered the Lace Gourami as I`d like a fish that has a colourful look to it, the Lace seem to be the 'prettiest' but it just doesn`t grab me enough. The Moonlight seems too bland in it`s colouring, so I guess I need to start researching them a bit more if they`re going to be a possibility. I did see some nice looking blue Gouramis at my lfs so who knows??? :huh:

Hmm, not a good idea at all then huh :rolleyes: :lol:

I do have German Rams and a pair of Apistos, along with danios, harlequins, celebes rainbows, neons, rummys and corys as well as my bn plecs but they`re all what I consider 'standard size fish' if you get what I mean?

I`ve considered the Lace Gourami as I`d like a fish that has a colourful look to it, the Lace seem to be the 'prettiest' but it just doesn`t grab me enough. The Moonlight seems too bland in it`s colouring, so I guess I need to start researching them a bit more if they`re going to be a possibility. I did see some nice looking blue Gouramis at my lfs so who knows??? :huh:

If you want to keep the gourami idea, try and find a blue marbled gourami.
http://www.transinstruments.com/Images/fish/freshwater/trichogaster_trichopterus.jpg
That's the best picture I can find, it's a deep blue with darker blue markings.
A pair of those, perhaps mixed with a pair or single gold marble would look smashing.

Or if you want to be a bit more common, some nice angelfish?

The link you posted VaegaVic is a picture of a three spot gourami thats conditioned for breeding they look amazing when there spawning. Kissing Gourami's get big (12inches). They can be aggresive though.

Yeah I did read that the kissing gouramis can get pretty big :hyper:

Just been browsing and found a lovely pic of a pearl (I think)?:

Now that`s a pretty fish! B-)

Thats a pick of a female pearl the males look even better look up a picture of a male one. There very peaceful as well and i think grow to about 4 or so inches.

Thats a pick of a female pearl the males look even better look up a picture of a male one. There very peaceful as well and i think grow to about 4 or so inches.

Ohhh, I think maybe my switch has just been flicked (so to speak) :hey: :lol: :lol:

Gonna go and have a look for some more info on the pearls now, they are so pretty :D :D

Pearl Gouramis are great fish. The only problem is that they tend to be bullies. I had these constantly chase and nip other fish, especially my cories :angry: I think they are kind of territorial . My gourami took over half my tank, meaning my other fish had to scoot to the other side! :lol:
I suggest Chocolate Gouramis which are sensitive to water conditions but can look great. Look at the one below.
Sphaerichthys-vaillanti-Wei.jpg

Pearl Gouramis are great fish. The only problem is that they tend to be bullies. I had these constantly chase and nip other fish, especially my cories :angry: I think they are kind of territorial . My gourami took over half my tank, meaning my other fish had to scoot to the other side! :lol:
I suggest Chocolate Gouramis which are sensitive to water conditions but can look great. Look at the one below.

Another problem with the choclate gourami is they only grow to 2.5 inches the same as the croaking gourami so would be lost in that tank she would also need a peat filtered set up and a RO unit to keep them sucessfully as they like a PH of around 4.5 - 5.0 and temperatures 30 degrees plus. Same as the Samuri gourami which is pictured in your post although that grows a bit bigger to around 3.5 inches. I think Pearl Goramis would be more than fine in a 360ltr tank as they have plenty of room so dont have to compete for territory as much i had no problems when i keep pearls i had one male and 3 femailes and there was minimal bickering after the pecking order was sorted.

Another problem with the choclate gourami is they only grow to 2.5 inches the same as the croaking gourami so would be lost in that tank she would also need a peat filtered set up and a RO unit to keep them sucessfully as they like a PH of around 4.5 - 5.0 and temperatures 30 degrees plus. Same as the Samuri gourami which is pictured in your post although that grows a bit bigger to around 3.5 inches. I think Pearl Goramis would be more than fine in a 360ltr tank as they have plenty of room so dont have to compete for territory as much i had no problems when i keep pearls i had one male and 3 femailes and there was minimal bickering after the pecking order was sorted.

:X I forgot the Chocolate Gourami stayed that small :X

As far as I'm aware, that isn't a chocolate gourami.
That's a samurai gourami Sphaerichthys vaillanti (it is also known as the valiant choc though, so I can see how people get confused).

Full Chocolate is S. osphromenoides.

Surprised no one else picked up on that..

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back