The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Hardness
UK water companies make it sound harder than it really is. In Leeds, your water company should give a number for hardness if you're with Yorkshire Water.
Select 'check your water' tab, enter your postcode then look for this info (this is a friend's postcode)

hardness.jpg

It's the number you need under mg/l calcium.

Water changes
Once the tank is fully stocked, most of us change at least 50% a week. How you do the change depends on your preference.
Buckets - add the water conditioner to each bucket of water at the dose rate for the volume of water in the bucket. Eg you put 10 litres water in the bucket, so add enough dechlorinator for 10 litres into every bucketful. It is better for the chlorine to be removed before the new water goes into the tank which is why it should be added to each bucketful.
Hosepipe - add all the dechlorinator to the tank before you start to refill. Some water conditioners say to add enough to treat the whole tank, others say add enough to treat just the new water.

If you have a combi boiler, you can use hot tap water to warm the new water to roughly the same temperature as the tank. But if you have a heat only boiler with a hot water cylinder and a header tank in the attic, boil a kettle of water to warm the new water.

Fish
If the tank can clear 3 ppm ammonia in 24 hours, you can add virtually all the fish you want at the same time. Adding a few, then waiting is for fish-in cycling not fishless. But some fish do better if the tank has been running a few months. let us know which fish you intend and we can tell you if any should wait to be added.
Shrimps do need to wait though as they are sensitive little things.

Hardness
UK water companies make it sound harder than it really is. In Leeds, your water company should give a number for hardness if you're with Yorkshire Water.
Select 'check your water' tab, enter your postcode then look for this info (this is a friend's postcode)

View attachment 133719

It's the number you need under mg/l calcium.

Water changes
Once the tank is fully stocked, most of us change at least 50% a week. How you do the change depends on your preference.
Buckets - add the water conditioner to each bucket of water at the dose rate for the volume of water in the bucket. Eg you put 10 litres water in the bucket, so add enough dechlorinator for 10 litres into every bucketful. It is better for the chlorine to be removed before the new water goes into the tank which is why it should be added to each bucketful.
Hosepipe - add all the dechlorinator to the tank before you start to refill. Some water conditioners say to add enough to treat the whole tank, others say add enough to treat just the new water.

If you have a combi boiler, you can use hot tap water to warm the new water to roughly the same temperature as the tank. But if you have a heat only boiler with a hot water cylinder and a header tank in the attic, boil a kettle of water to warm the new water.

Fish
If the tank can clear 3 ppm ammonia in 24 hours, you can add virtually all the fish you want at the same time. Adding a few, then waiting is for fish-in cycling not fishless. But some fish do better if the tank has been running a few months. let us know which fish you intend and we can tell you if any should wait to be added.
Shrimps do need to wait though as they are sensitive little things.
Thanks for the reply.
Iā€™ve just tested again as Iā€™m impatient although I am about 5 hours early ? ph still 7.5mg Nitrite 0.3mg Nitrate has risen the colour is inbetween the value of 25mg & 50mg & NH3 & NH4 has dropped to 0.25. I will test again in 5 hours.

With regards to fish honestly I donā€™t have a clue as every time I think oooo I like that I then find out that you canā€™t have that kind of fish with this fish or itā€™s not a beginner blah blah blah... my head is fried... no pun intended ?

I have what those in the hobby would consider a tacky tank ? but I love it... the only real plants in there are 4 Marino moss balls. I do in time intend to get some more (easy) live plants at some point. I have the external fluval 307 & 2 air stones running. I have the Hugo Kamishi decorative substrate which is fine rounded black glass gravel. I believe that stops me from having some fish too... honestly I thought Iā€™d be able to walk into the pet store and say Iā€™ll have some of those some of those etc etc however thereā€™s clearly more to it. All I know is I want colourful interesting fish ? any reccomendations would be appreciated. I also struggle with how many Iā€™m allowed to keep without overstocking.

Have you looked up your hardness yet.......?

Have you looked up your hardness yet.......?
Itā€™s slightly hard 53.5mg/l calcium. A picture of my tacky tank for reference

Attachments

• ED314128-F544-49FB-90F0-DF79FD86C219.png
    ED314128-F544-49FB-90F0-DF79FD86C219.png
    195.4 KB · Views: 67
  • C8EDBA07-0C21-4E16-9658-76EF8865BC65.jpeg
    C8EDBA07-0C21-4E16-9658-76EF8865BC65.jpeg
    391.9 KB · Views: 62
There are about half a dozen units of measurement for hardness and fish keeping uses just 2 of them. Fish profiles will use one or the other but mg/l calcium is not one of them. However, we can convert it into the two units.
Your hardness is 7.5 dH and 134 ppm.

In other words, the upper end of soft. Most soft water fish will be happy (except the odd one or two species which must have very soft water) and you need to avoid hard water fish (most livebearers, rainbowfish and Rift Lake cichlids)

Looking at your photo I can see why you want colourful fish, to mix in with the decor ;)
Unfortunately a lot of the really colourful fish don't suit your water (livebearers, rainbowfish and Rift Lake cichlids are hard water fish).

is the tank the curved front Vision rather than the flat front Rio? It looks curved in the photo though that could just the the way it looks in the photo.
The curved front Vision 180 has a swimming length of 92 cm/36 inches, so no very big fish.

Do you want lots of small fish or a few big fish?

There are about half a dozen units of measurement for hardness and fish keeping uses just 2 of them. Fish profiles will use one or the other but mg/l calcium is not one of them. However, we can convert it into the two units.
Your hardness is 7.5 dH and 134 ppm.

In other words, the upper end of soft. Most soft water fish will be happy (except the odd one or two species which must have very soft water) and you need to avoid hard water fish (most livebearers, rainbowfish and Rift Lake cichlids)

Looking at your photo I can see why you want colourful fish, to mix in with the decor ;)
Unfortunately a lot of the really colourful fish don't suit your water (livebearers, rainbowfish and Rift Lake cichlids are hard water fish).

is the tank the curved front Vision rather than the flat front Rio? It looks curved in the photo though that could just the the way it looks in the photo.
The curved front Vision 180 has a swimming length of 92 cm/36 inches, so no very big fish.

Do you want lots of small fish or a few big fish?
It is the curved one. I want as many fish as I can get whereby they are happy and safe. If that means sacrificing ones of any size then thatā€™s fine... Iā€™m all about the colour as you can tell, I know itā€™s tacky lol!!! But thatā€™s the look Iā€™m going for ? i would like one show piece though.

I do have another 120l tank that I bought before this one so I may end up setting that up once I 100% know what Iā€™m doing. I will make sure that it is a little more respectable for the fish forums ?

Iā€™m really sad that I canā€™t have the really colourful ones. I thought I had moderately hard water ?? see why I need all this extra advice. ?

What about German blue rams? I ask as my friend who lives in the same area as me so the same water hardness has some in her tank. Theyā€™ve been there about 6 months and doing well?

Attachments

• 029A975E-BE43-4488-892E-901F016BE547.png
    029A975E-BE43-4488-892E-901F016BE547.png
    371.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 6EA60B66-3134-4AE0-9243-44167501F807.png
    6EA60B66-3134-4AE0-9243-44167501F807.png
    300.9 KB · Views: 57
What about German blue rams? I ask as my friend who lives in the same area as me so the same water hardness has some in her tank. Theyā€™ve been there about 6 months and doing well?
My other friend again same water parameters has an Angel and a kissing gourami with others are these suitable?

Attachments

• FFC6B449-29F9-47CB-84E4-40219DE396D0.png
    FFC6B449-29F9-47CB-84E4-40219DE396D0.png
    554.4 KB · Views: 56
German blue rams (and any of the other varieties of Mikrogeophagus such as electric blue rams, gold rams) can be tricky fish. They prefer water warmer than most fish like. If kept too cold - and 25 deg C is on the cold side for them - they can die quite quickly.

Apistogrammas live in the same tank region as rams; the males of some species are bright, and the females are yellow. Look at the cockatoo cichlid, Apistogramma cacatuoides

Ember tetras are small shoaling fish, bright orange when settled in, though washed out in shop tanks. A group of 10.

I'll think of some more after I've cooked dinner :)

No to kissing gourami - they get too big for the tank. They need a tank at least 150 cm/5 feet long

Angels - maybe. Though they tend not to be very colourful. The tank is just about tall enough for them, but at 90 cm/36 inches it is probably a bit too short.

German blue rams (and any of the other varieties of Mikrogeophagus such as electric blue rams, gold rams) can be tricky fish. They prefer water warmer than most fish like. If kept too cold - and 25 deg C is on the cold side for them - they can die quite quickly.

Apistogrammas live in the same tank region as rams; the males of some species are bright, and the females are yellow. Look at the cockatoo cichlid, Apistogramma cacatuoides

Ember tetras are small shoaling fish, bright orange when settled in, though washed out in shop tanks. A group of 10.

I'll think of some more after I've cooked dinner :)

No to kissing gourami - they get too big for the tank. They need a tank at least 150 cm/5 feet long

Angels - maybe. Though they tend not to be very colourful. The tank is just about tall enough for them, but at 90 cm/36 inches it is probably a bit too short.
Fab will look at the ones youā€™ve suggested and look forward to the other reccomendations after I too have cooked dinner x

About the same size as ember tetras is the green Microdevario kubotai, common names neon green rasbora and even green tetra.

Neon and cardinal tetras, Paracheirodon innesi and P. axelrodi - blue and red.

Something to contrast with your decor - black neon tetras (which are not related to neon tetras)

Perhaps cherry barbs

Apart from apistogrammas, the fish I've mentioned are shoaling fish which need to be in a group of at least 6, with more being better.

Avoid serpae tetras and all the colour varieties of tiger barb. These two are among the nippiest fish around and their tank mates will have bits missing.

About the same size as ember tetras is the green Microdevario kubotai, common names neon green rasbora and even green tetra.

Neon and cardinal tetras, Paracheirodon innesi and P. axelrodi - blue and red.

Something to contrast with your decor - black neon tetras (which are not related to neon tetras)

Perhaps cherry barbs

Apart from apistogrammas, the fish I've mentioned are shoaling fish which need to be in a group of at least 6, with more being better.

Avoid serpae tetras and all the colour varieties of tiger barb. These two are among the nippiest fish around and their tank mates will have bits missing.
Ok so Iā€™m liking the ember tetra, the green ones & the cardinal tetras are nice. Cherry barbs I like as well. I really like the galaxy rasbora too. How many of each can I keep in my tank without overloading it.
With regards to the apistorammas am I best just sticking with a couple? What sex would be best x

Apistogrammas - I would get just a male and a female. If you manage to get to choose your own fish, look for a male and a female that stay close to each other. A male which hasn't accepted a female won't allow her to stay near him. Your photo shows a few cave type ornaments which these fish need. They are cave spawners, though it's unlikely any eggs would survive to hatch with other fish in the tank.

I prefer larger numbers of fewer species rather than the minimum number of lots of species. In a 180 litre tank with these small fish, you'd probably be OK with 15 of two species, or maybe 8 of 3 species.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back