coldwater fish FINALLY

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Goldfish may not work because they can get very large, and are poop machines. They are also very social animals, they need a friend.
yes, the bucket may be big, i might get a pair if its 45-50g, i heard fancies can be there.
most likely it is some small guys
what happens if a leaf of say, a cherry or peach leaf gets in? should i have a hood on it?
i will post a design of what i want to do and @ you

Leaves have gotten in mine. It depends on the leaf. Oak or Almond, and you would have a problem if you have a lot of them. It should be fine.
ok ill keep it away from the big eucalyptus, cuz that will kill my fish.
working on the diagram currently

Leaves have gotten in mine. It depends on the leaf. Oak or Almond, and you would have a problem if you have a lot of them. It should be fine.
Hello, i did it (i was doing other stuff so i took so long lol)
DO A BARREL ROLL.jpg

Ok, so this is what happened. People thought It was tall barrels. He meant half barrels. Ok? So let’s get back to the thread!

this is how I made mine. I got a 42 gallon barrel planter. I got small, thick, pond liner. Black rubber. I fastened it using washers and screws. I then filled with pre-cycled water from my 55g. I added Pea Pebbles. Then, I got Anacharis, Hornwort, and Variegated Water Snowflake. Very simple. I don’t have a filter. I have 5 Rosy Barbs and a few snails. There is no filtration, nothing. Rosy Barbs are very hardy.
Ooh that looks fantastic. Are you going to do the same with the empty one next to it?

Duckweed will completely cover the surface in a solid mass, you'll never see what's underneath
^^^ Duckweed engulfs everything. Covers rocks, other plants... Small frogs' heads. As nice as it looks when it's under control, it usually ends up making ponds look dirty and unkempt.

Ooh that looks fantastic. Are you going to do the same with the empty one next to it?

^^^ Duckweed engulfs everything. Covers rocks, other plants... Small frogs' heads. As nice as it looks when it's under control, it usually ends up making ponds look dirty and unkempt.
And, it will choke out vegetation underneath, from lack of sunlight (or any light)

If he has goldfish - the duckweed won't cover the container most likely. Duckweed is a favorite of goldfish and I haven't seen a container with goldfish get covered with it. Rather it all tends to disappear rather quickly and people grow it in OTHER containers to feed to the fish since it doesn't thrive actually IN with the fish.

I still am not sure this environment would suit goldfish though. Goldfish will likely need filtration and aeration. The other user's setup works because they are ROSY BARBS.

Goldfish do not do well because they are extremely messy. Duckweed will become so thick. In a nearby runoff, the duckweed is around 2" thick. And yes, I am going to get a breeding pair of gymnogeophagus terrapurpura and dithers.

And, it will choke out vegetation underneath, from lack of sunlight (or any light)
If he has goldfish - the duckweed won't cover the container most likely. Duckweed is a favorite of goldfish and I haven't seen a container with goldfish get covered with it. Rather it all tends to disappear rather quickly and people grow it in OTHER containers to feed to the fish since it doesn't thrive actually IN with the fish.

I still am not sure this environment would suit goldfish though. Goldfish will likely need filtration and aeration. The other user's setup works because they are ROSY BARBS.
Goldfish are dirty fish unfortunately, they do better in actual ponds... What about minnows?
hello, ill maybe get some bigger ones like frogbit and scoop it out every few days
yes ill probably skip on goldfish and get tetras and/or minnows. i dont want to waterchange every 2 days lol
i might get rosy barbs,. but probably will ad an air pump/spongefilter

hello, ill maybe get some bigger ones like frogbit and scoop it out every few days
yes ill probably skip on goldfish and get tetras and/or minnows. i dont want to waterchange every 2 days lol
i might get rosy barbs,. but probably will ad an air pump/spongefilter
Didn't know you could keep frogbit in coldwater! Minnows are very sweet though, I think you'd like them.

Didn't know you could keep frogbit in coldwater! Minnows are very sweet though, I think you'd like them.
Could i keep them with the barb? The barbs look like small golfsiha and are super cool
I saw some frogbit in a lake here so…

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back