The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
2x Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
hi, im getting some barrels and some lily pads too, and i wanted some fancy goldfish or some other fish...
what are good coldwater?
idk the size of barrel yet
150 gh
7+ph
SOFTENED
40-70gh
6-7ph

150 gh
7+ph
SOFTENED
40-70gh
6-7ph
Are the top 2 numbers before the water is softened, and the lower 2 numbers after it has been through the water softener?
If yes, don't put it through a water softener for goldfish because a GH of 150ppm and pH of 7+ is better for them.

White cloud mountain minnows, bitterlings and fantail (double tailed) goldfish are fine in water that gets down to 5C (32F), and they can tolerate warmer water up to 28-30C (82-86F) for a month or two in summer.

If you want single tailed goldfish (comets, common & shubunkins), they tolerate the same conditions but need more swimming room.

Are the top 2 numbers before the water is softened, and the lower 2 numbers after it has been through the water softener?
If yes, don't put it through a water softener for goldfish because a GH of 150ppm and pH of 7+ is better for them.

White cloud mountain minnows, bitterlings and fantail (double tailed) goldfish are fine in water that gets down to 5C (32F), and they can tolerate warmer water up to 28-30C (82-86F) for a month or two in summer.

If you want single tailed goldfish (comets, common & shubunkins), they tolerate the same conditions but need more swimming room.
id rather do fancies cos i dont htink the bucket is that big
what about the pink minnows?
fatheads or something
any other common fish?
also id like plants that they cannot eat
can i keep other fish with goldfish

...Just wondering, why would you want to keep fish in a barrel?
so you can shoot them of course :)

------------------
id rather do fancies cos i dont htink the bucket is that big
what about the pink minnows?
fatheads or something
any other common fish?
also id like plants that they cannot eat
can i keep other fish with goldfish
No idea about North American native fishes.

Goldfish are best kept on their own so the other fish don't pick on the goldfish, or the goldfish don't try to eat the other fish.

Goldfish are vegetarian and will eat most plants. If you grow Duckweed on the surface, the goldfish will eat that and should leave other plants alone.

Where do you plan on getting this barrel?
a friend, and they dont know either...
so you can shoot them of course :)

------------------

No idea about North American native fishes.

Goldfish are best kept on their own so the other fish don't pick on the goldfish, or the goldfish don't try to eat the other fish.

Goldfish are vegetarian and will eat most plants. If you grow Duckweed on the surface, the goldfish will eat that and should leave other plants alone.
ill just keep small fish so i can farm plants
I cannot recommend a wooden barrel for fancy goldfish. The unnatural shape and depth can damage their swim bladders and just isn't good for oxygen exchange.
yes, i will not keep them in that.

ill update yall when i get the barrel, and i will measure in 5gs when i do the leaky test

ill just keep small fish so i can farm plants
You don't need fish to have plants. Again, why would you want fish in a barrel? It just sounds cruel and unusual. You don't need to put anything living in a barrel, to be completely honest.

There's probably not even a point in measuring it, since barrels aren't exactly a suitable substitute for a fish tank in the first place.

You don't need fish to have plants. Again, why would you want fish in a barrel? It just sounds cruel and unusual. You don't need to put anything living in a barrel, to be completely honest.

There's probably not even a point in measuring it, since barrels aren't exactly a suitable substitute for a fish tank in the first place.
no, the whole point of the barrel is to grow lily pads, if i cannot keep fish in it, well who cares.
also its a half barrel, like a tub... i dont see what's wrong with keeping fish in that?
technically its an outdoor mini pond is what im trying to do

Depends on how big the barrel is... it is kind of cruel to keep fish in a wooden barrel.
ok... id guess 40g? i heard thats barely ehough for a fancy...
ill seal it completely with something if its wood of course, i get why that would be bad....

Hi there Sgooosh! Am I correct in thinking you are wanting to grow plants? I would seriously look into aquaponics! The waste from the fish provides nutrients for the plants, which help to purify the water for the fish. This allows plants to be grown faster and more efficiently. You certainly could use goldfish! I would look for high waste producers, fish with high bio loads. You can grow things other than lilies! Such as herbs, like basil, cilantro, or parsley. I think I get what you are saying with the barrel! Let me see if I can find an online photo

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back