coldwater fish FINALLY

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Is it like this
941D6890-3A56-45C3-B94C-1C1A130CA5A0.jpeg

Just read the whole thread.

Goldfish are social animals and should be kept with a friend. 40 gallons is NOT enough for one.

I have 45-gallon barrels and filled them with thick pond liner. You could also try Metal feed tubs, but they use zinc on the walls, which is dangerous for your fish. It just gives it a modern look. It is a tiny pond - a patio pond.

Very simple to set up. 75 bucks a pop.

Hi there Sgooosh! Am I correct in thinking you are wanting to grow plants? I would seriously look into aquaponics! The waste from the fish provides nutrients for the plants, which help to purify the water for the fish. This allows plants to be grown faster and more efficiently. You certainly could use goldfish! I would look for high waste producers, fish with high bio loads. You can grow things other than lilies! Such as herbs, like basil, cilantro, or parsley. I think I get what you are saying with the barrel! Let me see if I can find an online photo
thanks, i might add some mystery snails since they poop a lot!
this is probably what i want, but bigger and better
1620964736964.png
i dont really see how somethinglike this is cruel?

cool, i got to it before it was removed. i think its against the rules to post threads to other forums, but this was cool.
im getting 4 of them, 2 of them can have fish (no holes on the bottom)
also im getting fancies, and i think they require just around 30-50 something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you looked for aquaculture ponds/ suppliers in your area?
There are fibreglass and plastic aquaculture ponds that are 3-4 foot in diameter and 3 foot high. These are ideal for a few goldfish and some plants. They aren't that expensive either.

Just check on council regulations regarding water depth ad pool fencing, some councils consider ponds as pools and chuck a stink if you don't have a pool fence to stop kids falling in.

You can also grow plants in plastic storage containers.

Have you looked for aquaculture ponds/ suppliers in your area?
There are fibreglass and plastic aquaculture ponds that are 3-4 foot in diameter and 3 foot high. These are ideal for a few goldfish and some plants. They aren't that expensive either.

Just check on council regulations regarding water depth ad pool fencing, some councils consider ponds as pools and chuck a stink if you don't have a pool fence to stop kids falling in.

You can also grow plants in plastic storage containers.
there arent much here where i am

Nice idea, you'll have do to some more research. If you take your time and plan it wisely you'll come up with something wonderful

Isn't keeping a fish in a barrel, providing its of a fair size, the same as having it in a pond? Isn't this "tubbing" and frequently done by many hobbiests? Struggling to see whats cruel here..

Isn't keeping a fish in a barrel, providing its of a fair size, the same as having it in a pond? Isn't this "tubbing" and frequently done by many hobbiests? Struggling to see whats cruel here..
I agree. I think what people were saying was cruel was like a normal barrel. Tall, not much of a footprint, and not much of an opening for light, where as it is really more of a wooden tub!

I agree. I think what people were saying was cruel was like a normal barrel. Tall, not much of a footprint, and not much of an opening for light, where as it is really more of a wooden tub!
Yeah, I was under the impression that it was an actual barrel, not one of the planter-type things.

You don't need fish to have plants. Again, why would you want fish in a barrel? It just sounds cruel and unusual. You don't need to put anything living in a barrel, to be completely honest.

There's probably not even a point in measuring it, since barrels aren't exactly a suitable substitute for a fish tank in the first place.
"You don't need to put anything living in a barrel, to be completely honest."

Unless it's yeast to make whiskey, of course

to be fair, i dont know why it is cruel to make a mini pond out of a big barrel, im going to have filter, air pump, and everything needed for a mini pond...

There's an exception to every rule!
to be fair, i dont know why it is cruel to make a mini pond out of a big barrel, im going to have filter, air pump, and everything needed for a mini pond...

Please see my earlier reply.
I was under the impression that it was an actual barrel, not one of the planter-type things.
I'm assuming that mj and PK were thinking this, too.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back