Co2 Regulators

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Themuleous

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
Hi peeps,

I just thought I'd start a thread about pressured CO2 regulators as I have two and they are very different and I just wanted to see what everyone else used and their thoughts etc. I'm also in the process of sorting out a kit that uses a pub type CO2 cylinder (the 82cm tall one) and I'm not really sure how best to go about it so any advice people had on that would be great :)

Right he's what Ive found out.

JBL reg - My first pressurized CO2 was second hand and came with a JBL cylinder and reg. The reg I have to say I am quite disappointed with, especially now I've got an aquamedic one. The needle value in particular is difficult to get the very fine adjustments needed for my nano and the difference between 1 bubble every second and one bubble every 4 seconds is almost unnoticeable. I am also a little suspicious that this leaks, this could of course be due to it being second hand but its looks in very good nick so I'm not sure. The second gauge also permanently reads maximum at over 4bar so think something might be up, I'm sure it should be more like 2bar like the aquamedic one?

Aquamedic - this one I just got as a separate reg, again second hand and compared to the JBL one its great. The needle valve is great very easy to adjust and only a slight difficulty in getting it set right for the nano, but that's probably because I have to be very, very precise.

For the pub cylinder, I'm thinking of using the JBL reg but having lined them up I notice that the male part on the reg doesn't fit into the outlet on the cylinder (ill see if i can get some pic on here later), I'm sure I read that I can just file this down until it does fit and that'll work, could someone one confirm before I start hacking bits off a perfectly good reg! Is there anything else I need to know? I have also thought about just using a normal welding reg, but I think I'd need a separate needle value for this to get the very fine adjustments?

Also if anyone has any links to good/cheap shops that sell regs, etc and/or any welding ones that I could get a welding reg and needle value from if that seems to be the best option.

Thanks all who reply, I hope this is useful to those thinking of going pressurised :)

Sam

Hi Sam,

The Regulator i use came in a set with a 500g bottle but ive put it straight onto a 7.5kg welding bottle seems about the same height as your pub bottle, But it fitted with no problem and no adjustments the connector was a perfect fit. Im not sure what the make is but it seems good quality. It was from Germany but i recieved it in 3 days heres the link for the regulator he does them for approx £35.00. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Doppelmanometer-Druc...oQQcmdZViewItem

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Cheers for the link, I take it, it has a needle value on it as well and the cylinder is the pub type? Sounds like just what Im after but I cant really afford to spend the money if its not right! :lol:

I will try and get some pics of the bottle & regulator when i get home later & send them to you. :)

Thanks for the link, I must confess to not having read the whole of that thread, I would probably have not needed this one had I taken the time! Sorry to bore, people!

The link mantis provided would seem a good reg and relatively cheap, does mean Ill have three regs if I get that one as well! Now where is the buy, sell, swap forum....

Did you happen to get any pics Mantis?

EDIT - I guess all I need to know is, does the reg you have, have a connector like this, if it does it should be fine for what I need. Having said that if you got it on the absis of Zig's advice from the fire extinguisher thread then Im sure it's fine, just me being paranoids, I dont want another reg if it isn't going to work!

Regulator.jpg

Simon found the same link!! :D :D In the advert it states that its only for JBJ and Milwaukee I assume it will fit our bottles?? The reason I ask is the picture on Ebay looks slightly different to Simons pic. Im wondering if this guy had different ones for the uk bottles.

Definately gonna get one of these!! :D :D

Hi Sam, The connector on that picture is the same as mine. I took a couple of pics on my mobile last night but im having difficulty getting them onto the computer :crazy: My new camera is getting delivered today so i will get pics to you later tonight to show the bottle im using.

Lee

Oh right great, thanks Lee thats just the answer ineeded, now all I have to do is save up to get one! :lol:

Simon found the same link!! :D :D In the advert it states that its only for JBJ and Milwaukee I assume it will fit our bottles?? The reason I ask is the picture on Ebay looks slightly different to Simons pic. Im wondering if this guy had different ones for the uk bottles.

Definately gonna get one of these!! :D :D

Cant answer this one mate, but it probably does what it says on the tin! Ill post a question on Simons journal so keep an eye on that for more info.

:S

I've been trying to put together a 'shopping list' of all the items I'd need for a pressurised system, using
parts easily obtainable in the UK. (including solenoid shut off valve)

....I've seen numerous lists with parts from US and Germany, but as I dont speak German, I'm never really sure what I'm ordering and I dont want to start getting things shipped from the US, as I want parts that are easily replaceable locally (or on the web) in the UK.

I've never used a pressurised system (only DIY) and not 100% unsure what I need and if all the bit will
fit together ........ if anybody has a list of 'UK available' bits, I'd really like a copy :hey:

Al

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back