Co2 Regulators

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

:S

I've been trying to put together a 'shopping list' of all the items I'd need for a pressurised system, using
parts easily obtainable in the UK. (including solenoid shut off valve)

....I've seen numerous lists with parts from US and Germany, but as I dont speak German, I'm never really sure what I'm ordering and I dont want to start getting things shipped from the US, as I want parts that are easily replaceable locally (or on the web) in the UK.

I've never used a pressurised system (only DIY) and not 100% unsure what I need and if all the bit will
fit together ........ if anybody has a list of 'UK available' bits, I'd really like a copy :hey:

Al

Hi Al,

I could'nt understand german but its very straight forward. You get exactly the same as you would from a uk site but a lot cheaper! :hey: I was very suprised when i got it in three days aswell :) my whole kit was £68 delivered which i could not argue with saving myself about £40. Sometimes youve got to take a chance to get a bargain!! :good:

I've never used a pressurised system (only DIY) and not 100% unsure what I need and if all the bit will
fit together ........ if anybody has a list of 'UK available' bits, I'd really like a copy :hey:

Al

I hope this doesn't repeat what people have already said in a another thread but here goes;

i) Cylinder - two options really, either a 500g JBL or Dennerle one not sure where to get these just on their own but there must be people who sell them or you can use a massive pub type one like this one. The JBL one you can fill at some LFS, it get mine filled at my local maidenhead aquatics. They last a few months on a 20g tank longer on smaller tank, less on large tanks (for obvious reasons! :p) refills cost around from 5 to 13quid. the pub type ones, Ive not filled mine yet but Ill be taking it to my local welding centre to get it filled. From what Ive heard is costs round 10quid.

Next you need a reg, you can get the ones specially for aquariums from Ultimate Aquatics i can recommend the aquamedic one but I'm sure the other one will work just as well. Or you can use welding ones, like the one Mantis linked to earlier in the thread.

Next to the solenoid. Ive never used one so cant comment. Personally I think they are a bit of a waste of money and over complicate what should be a simple system. Ebay is your friend when It comes to these I have seen several on there recently including this one. Or again you can get them from the online shops I've already mentioned.

Other than that you'll need CO2 proof 6mm hosing which you can get from aquaessentials

Then you'll need a diffuser also from aquaessentials, there is a great range of them depends on your budget.

So that is all you really need, you can of course get complete kits from many of the online shops such as aquatics online.. If you stick with just aquarium CO2 kit it should all fit together as they all have standard size fittings, etc so shouldn't be a problem.

You can also get a reg, bubble counter and solenoid all in one, but don't know of anyone who's tried them so its a bit of leap into the unknown.

The reason people use German companies, as already mentioned, is that they are cheap and all this kit will have to meet with EU regulations as you're dealing with high pressure stuff that has to be regulated to protect people.

If you're interested I'm selling my JBL reg, works fine you can read my honest opinion at the beginning of this thread. I'm sure it'll work better on a bigger aquarium as there is more room for manuveour. Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks Sam, Sorry hijacked your thread a little there ;)

No probs glad to help :)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
mantis147 & Themuleous

Many thanks gents, just what I needed.
I actually had a decent idea on the actual equipment, but not where to get it all and also I'd seen so many posts regarding what regulator fits what bottle, I was becoming a bit confused and didnt want to end up with loads of bit that wouldnt fit together.

Themuleous .... I'm going to have a look at the individual bits, but will PM you regarding your JBL kit.

Very Many Thanks

(sorry to interupt the thread :blush: )

Well.......personally i would definatly recommend a solenoid, otherwise you will have to switch the CO2 on and off everyday manually, ive been there, done that, but its not really practical on a long term basis as i found out when i got very busy with work, its a much better idea to have the CO2 system automatic and this can only happen with a solenoid and a timer. Try and buy a solenoid with a low Va rating (voltage i think??) mine is 2 volts, which is the lowest you can get i think, basically the lower the V rating the cooler the solenoid will run, some solenoids can be rated much higher up to 12 V and these will get incredably hot, so hot you could not touch it, so look for one that is rated low.

CO2 regulators are really only as good as the needle valve that comes with them IMO, how do you know they will have a good needle valve? well on this side of the atlantic its impossible to tell, but even dedicated CO2 regulators that are sold in the USA to hobbists usually dont nescesserily have good needle valves either.

A good needle valve will be determined by how long it will hold a set bubble rate, you should only have to adjust the needle valve now and again and then leave it when set (especially with a solenoid its not nescessary to go near the needle valve when the correct bubble rate is achieved) if you find you need to keep adjusting the needle valve to keep a certain bubble rate, well then the needle valve is probably not up to scratch.

Zig,

I'd pretty much convinced myself that I should get a solenoid valve, even if it was only to make the
CO2 last a bit longer.

I'd not appreciated the heat factor, useful bit of info ... many thanks ! :good:

I had mentioned to Themuleous that there is a guy in our village who services and refills fire extinguishers.
I was going to approach him with my 'shopping list' and details on what I want and see if he can provide me something ..... and be a regular source for topping up the tank.

Thanks

Mr G

heres a couple of pics of my co2 tank
bd625840.jpg

CIMG0036.jpg

Well.......personally i would definitely recommend a solenoid,

Just out of interest why do you turn the CO2 off? It is to increase the time a cylinder will last or for fish health reasons? Just curious, you may convert me ;) As I've said I've never had one, maybe I'm jumping the gun with the comments I make about solenoids?

CO2 regulators are really only as good as the needle valve that comes with them IMO,

So if you get one over off the net, its pure luck!

Mantis - thanks for the pics, I think you've convinced me that they are a good reg will get one when I can. Just out of interest do you rent the cylinder or did you buy it?

Well.......personally i would definitely recommend a solenoid,

Just out of interest why do you turn the CO2 off? It is to increase the time a cylinder will last or for fish health reasons? Just curious, you may convert me ;) As I've said I've never had one, maybe I'm jumping the gun with the comments I make about solenoids?

CO2 regulators are really only as good as the needle valve that comes with them IMO,

So if you get one over off the net, its pure luck!

Mantis - thanks for the pics, I think you've convinced me that they are a good reg will get one when I can. Just out of interest do you rent the cylinder or did you buy it?

Well this is just from the articles I've read (NOT from personal experience),
As I understand it you turn the CO2 off at night becuase the plants dont photosynthesise at night, so dont use up the CO2.

If the CO2 isnt getting used up your CO2 level increase, with potential consequences for the fish (depending on your levels) and you could have a PH swing ....... apart from that it will obviously make the CO2 last longer.

I think those are the reasons - at least they are the reasons I'm planning on getting one!!
but I'm sure the experts will confirm or deny/correct

Al

Sam, I just set up my pressurized CO2 yesterday. I have a Milwaukee regulator. It came with the solenoid and bubble counter already attached. I have it so the CO2 shuts off when the lights go out. Works pretty slick!

My pH drops dangerously low at night if I keep the CO2 running. (found this out with the Nutra fins.) Plus, yes, there is the added benefit of your CO2 lasting twice as long! :)

Right it might be more important on a bigger tank with a lower surface area to volume ratio. I run my CO2 on my nano 24/7 and the pH doesn't swing much at all, but I may find that when I do my 20G i have to invest in one to stop it swinging, but will see I guess! Certainly the surface area thing sounds plausible?

Having been given a bit of a shopping list earlier in this thread.
I'vve just picked this lot up off ebay .......

co1.jpg

It looks like a mixture of Aquamedic regulator and bubble counter with a JBL cylinder and diffuser.
Not sure what make the solenoin valve is.

As this is my first pressurised system, can anybody tell me if thers is anything else I should add,
I'm probably going to replace the CO2 diffuser for a glass one eventually, until then how does this good/bad is this one.

I'm assuming I plug the solenoid valve into a timer switch and shut it off at about the same time as the lights go off.

Thanks
Mr G

P.S. If the seller is reading this - Thanks
If anybody was bidding against me - Sorry :hey:

well due to me making my aquarium with cement it is pushing my PH up to 7.8 - 8.1 pH. so i am using peat and co2 to lower it. but i am a bit miffed because the CO2 is just to expencive and im going through 3 months worth of co2 in a week.

So i have gone to a friend of mine who runs a pub and got hime to get me a CO2 Beer canister. its working great and i will have enough Co2 to last around 3 years.. :)

Git I wanted that! Looks like you have everything you need in that kit, think you got it for a good price too.

Cant comment on the soleoid never used one.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back