Co2 injection

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Great Lakes

Always do right, not popular...
Reaction score
Most people use an empty plastic two liter soda bottle. You drill, or melt with a hot nail, a hole in the cap to accept an air line. The most common problem that can happen is that the CO2 gas escapes from this hole in the cap. A sure fire method of sealing the cap, (I can say, because it is what I have used) is to seal a short piece of rigid tube in the hole with the brand name glue Goop. The Consumers Union Magazine rated glues a few years back, and found that Goop was the only glue to reliably stick to polyethylene used in the bottle caps, etc.. Other people have also reported success using aquarium silicon and also with the use of a fitting sold for drip irrigation. In any case the seal must be air tight.
Also, it is highly recommended that you install a one way check valve in the line as cheap insurance against the potential risk of an accidental siphon. This is good practice for all air lines into the tank. I distribute it through the typical airstone, though there are many other practical ways to do this.

The recipe for the yeast mixture which I and others have used successfully is to fill the bottle half full of cold tap water. Add about two cups of white sugar and shake until most of it is dissolved. Then add 1/2 teaspoon of granular baking yeast. If you bake bread too, You can buy a 8 ounce bag at a wholesaler for about $5. It will last you forever, and I store it in a airtight plastic bin in the freezer. This yeast mixture does not activate for about a day, so mix it ahead of time, and hook it up to the tank the next day when it starts to produce gas. You can switch this mixture whether it needs it or not every other weekend, say during your water change routine. If you use too little sugar, it may not last two weeks. (I bet as little as 1 cup would do.)

Don't use too much yeast, as this leads to foaming, which will creep up the air line and go into the tank. The goal is to have a bubble every few seconds or so. I think that just allowing the bubble up in the tank is probably enough. Some people use fancier "beer yeast", which costs more, and the cheaper bread yeast works fine by all accounts. All in all, I think there is a lot of tolerance with this method and you should feel free to experiment.

Once you start with Co2, remember to keep an eye on your PH levels. If your hardness levels are low, PH can fluctuate.

Now, this whole set-up may cost you five dollars, so what are you waiting for????

I have been using it for about a month, its helped abit, but i still have crap lighting and no fertiliser, so as soon as i get that sorted i'll be laughing! :lol: :D :p

It's gunna have just over 2wpg

What do u think of the interpet triton tubes for plant growth ? any good ? :)

I have never used Triton tubes. I have used regular aquarium & plant lights, they have always worked well. How big is the tank you are going to use for this?

16UK gallon (20US if thats where u r? )

Stickleback, you could also go with a power compact system. Here is an example of some. Lighting

Prices aren't too bad, and you could use a 55W system for almost three watts per gallon.

And I have to check on some sizes and availability for a DIY system for my 29gal and 20gal myself. I will let you know what I come up with for price and stuff

Godd link...but of no use to me :/ ...unless u can find a UK site selling them :huh: :/

Thanks for the instructions Great lakes, I made one this weekend out of glass, Iam a Scientific glass blower and it is working great now I must just see the difference to the plants. :D

Same as a Laboratory glass blower I used to make test tube, condesors ect. things that you would find in a mad scientist movie. :crazy:

Ok this contraption is putting out a nice steady stream, how long before I start noticeing a differance to the plant, my tank takes 750 liters, should I put a second one in?

WOW nice size tank!! i think more like 4 bottles for that tank, minimum!

Luma, just stick with one for now, till you get the feel of what it will do. And keep an eye on your PH levels for a few days, you may notice some fluctuation. You would be best in Roses hands now also. She is the plant queen :D :D

It's kinda like, . . .I can help you build the race car, then Rose can teach you how to drive it.. :) :) :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back