Clown Fishes

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hahaha

Nah there isnt any such thing as a freshwater clown.

You want a Nemo do you?
didnt Nemo survive going down the fresh water sewage system?
Maybe he might :p

If you really want clowns you should be able to buy one of these small AR series tanks with the inbuilt filter and light and get a peice of live rock and an anenome, get your clowns and your set. If you do that though dont be fooled into buying more marine fish for the tank. Marine fish are far more colourful than tropical but they are far more susceptable to death.

Have fun.

B)

I think salty dog was talking about clown loaches. TheBulk, what is a AR aquarium?
anyways, a annenomie need intense lighting and thatle set you back a coulple C notes, what I would recomend if you wanted to get ONE clown fish is to go to you local fish store and buy a good book about keeping a saltwater tank. the one I read Called "The simple guide to saldwater aquariums" tells you about everythinhg you need to know about saltwater tanks. there are somthings you'd need to buy like a protein skimmer and such. I wouldn't recomend a saltwater newbie starting out with a tank smaller then 20 gallons. they are extremly sensitive and need lots of care. hope this helps ;)

I agree with Frank-go buy a book on keeping saltwater fish. You don't need to have an anemone for the clowns, you could just have a fish-only tank. The "nemo" clowns (which I assume are the ones you are in love with-me too :wub: ) do better in pairs. A fish only saltwater tank dosen't get to complicated and there are lots of other fish that you could keep with the nemos. Just an FYI-saltwater fish are much more expensive than tropicals. I think 1 nemo at my lfs goes for around $18.

yea... if you were going to set up a new saltwater tank i wouldnt reccomend getting an anemone, they are not for begginers, plus you dont need an anemone to have a clown fish.

hmmm, similar question really, got tropicals, but just got back from the lfs and saw the cutest clown i have ever seen...!!!! :wub: :D :wub:

Have no idea whether they are hard to care for though, what would you reccomend I do, get a small(ish) tank and just put a clown in, or get a larger one with a couple of tankmates, or not get one at all...

(PS, not seen Nemo, what is a nemo fish...?) :blink:

Nemo is a clown fish, also known as anenome fish.

They are very attractive fish, and I intend to get some as soon as I know my new saltwater setup is safe for them.

They are said to be fairly easy to care for, as saltwater fish go, but I would recommend getting the largest tank you can afford and have room for. While I've heard clowns can be kept in tanks as small as 20 gallons, when you are talking about saltwater, bigger is better. Larger quantities of water means more stable water conditions.

Clownfish are salt water only. They can't live in freshwater. :(

Luckily, clownfish, although not what you would call hardy, can take less-than-perfect water conditions, so you can probably get one with most salt water aquariums.

They need at least 30 gallons. :angry:

Clownfish don't need an anemone, but some species do much better with one than without. Look it up.

I think people ought to be warned just how expensive a marine tank is to set up and run. In UK at least, you wouldn't get much change out of a thousand quid, plus you'd need to spend a lot of money every month for the chemicals.

I haven't seriously looked into it, but here are some of the costs I figured out:

Large tank with hood - £250
Marine lighting kit with bulb - £50
RO Unit - £110
Plumber to install RO Unit - £60
Eheim "wet-dry" external filter with inserts - £200
Protein skimmer - £150
One month's supply of electolytes - £25
One large live rock (you'd need several) - £30
Pair of "Nemo" clownfish - £70
Marine invertebrates - £6-£30 each
Large sack of coral sand - £45

Total so far = £996 minimum

(to give our non-British friends some idea, that's a similar price to the cost of a new PC with 19" flat-screen monitor and re-writable DVD drive)

I couldn't afford that. Maybe in UK its much more expensive than elsewhere and maybe I haven't gone to the cheapest places, but its still very expensive wherever you go.

if you have only 1 tank, you don't need to buy a large RO unit, so thats now $70 instead of $182 like anna said, and spending $331 on a wet-dry filter is just about robery. a pair of clown fish is probably at most $40, probably cheaper.
If you buy a local used equipment advertiser you can find good equipment at a fraction of the cost. I once saw a full blown saltwater 75 gallon for sale at $200 (you live in singapore? maybe I should say 334 singapore dollars). If your only getting clown fish and nothing else, you don't need to invest in lighting, though if you get live rock or corral you'll need to spend a fortune. Some of the things on annas list is unnesisary, like a wet dry filter, If you have live rock, then that eleminates the need for a filter. and invertibrates that are strictly for cleaning and not show are 2 or 3 dollars, not 10 or 50.

hmmmm...yeah I should qualifyu my remarks...this is a long-term plan...not an immediate one I should hasten to add..! ;)

If you research and read read,and read then you will find that SW is really not that hard to maintain. If you only get a pair of clown fish(and you wont :D )a 30 gallon tank would work fine.

Id say if you were to go to the pet store plan on buying.

Live rock 30 lbs. 5 to 7 dollars a pound =180
Skimmer,for a cheap one that would work for a 30g= 100
2 Clown fish = 40

$320.00 dollars and you still need the tank,heater,substrate,and hood

So look around and see if you can find a used set-up and save a ton of money.

You can do it :D

Alien Anna said:
I think people ought to be warned just how expensive a marine tank is to set up and run. In UK at least, you wouldn't get much change out of a thousand quid, plus you'd need to spend a lot of money every month for the chemicals.

I haven't seriously looked into it, but here are some of the costs I figured out:

RO Unit - £110
Protein skimmer - £150
Large sack of coral sand - £45

Total so far = £996 minimum

(to give our non-British friends some idea, that's a similar price to the cost of a new PC with 19" flat-screen monitor and re-writable DVD drive)

I couldn't afford that. Maybe in UK its much more expensive than elsewhere and maybe I haven't gone to the cheapest places, but its still very expensive wherever you go.

This is assuming new
You can get tank, canopy and stand, 55G, for under $250

This can range from $50 to $300 ... all depends on what you want to do.

RO Unit - £110
No way -- 100GPD RO/DI that screws into faucet can be had for $125.

Overflow box and plumbing to a 10Gsump, about $50 total.

Protein skimmer - £150
New turboflotor with pump, $129

Huh? No idea. Need a bucket of IO salt though, $30

You can get a bunch of base rock pretty cheap. For a 55G you would
want at least 60lbs of rock. All you need is one good live rock with lots
of corraline and critters. Best bet is to get from another reefer local
to you. Often you can get people to give extra base rock or buy for
a song. Or you can get the whole shebang off sellers online at
reefcentral often for a buck a pound if you find someone local. No
reason to have to spend more than like $40 here.

Ditto on sand. Get southdown sand for $5 for a 50lb bag, then get a
couple scoops from established tanks and you are on your way.

No way. I got a pair for $25.

Each? No way. I got 100 critters, snails, crabs, etc, for a total of like $40. You
don't need that many for a 55G. Tops $35.

Test kits, additives, etc, maybe $40 to start.

That's $780. And that might be high if you go slowly on the rock and sand. Of course, in that case you spend what you save as you would need a good cannister filter or something. I got a fully established 75G setup locally from a guy getting out of the hobby for under $550. And others have gotten similar setups for less.

There is a big startup cost, yes. But there's a big payoff too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back