Cichlids And Livebearers?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Wills said:
New World Cichlids differ from Old Worlds in that they can be mixed with other fish. New Worlds are fish from Central and Southern America and Old World are from Africa and generally refer to fish from specific lakes like Tangikia and Milawi (spelling sorry I know very little on Old Worlds)
Malawi  (The fish from this lake are generally called Mbuna).
Tanganyika  

;)

In case someone wanted to google them.  

eaglesaquarium said:
New World Cichlids differ from Old Worlds in that they can be mixed with other fish. New Worlds are fish from Central and Southern America and Old World are from Africa and generally refer to fish from specific lakes like Tangikia and Milawi (spelling sorry I know very little on Old Worlds)
Tanganyika  

wink.png

In my defense I was fairly close lol :) However you have just cleared up one question about what Mbuna where - not going to lie I always thought there was a lake mbuna...

Wills

I think i might actually visit one of those shops in manchester in a few weeks, once ive finished this work deadline i will be there!! Im looking forward to go there actually :)

I might get to go on my birthday this year :) I know its sad but even if you dont buy anything its a great experience.

All I would say is - make sure you research your fish before you go a lot of the fish they stock are really rare and not often to hard to keep but there are some monsters and might not mix with lets say your really common fish like guppies etc. But at the same time they do stock fantastic dwarfs that would :)

One things for certain though when you come back you will be wanting a bigger tank :)

Wills

Wills said:

Tanganyika  

wink.png

In my defense I was fairly close lol
smile.png
However you have just cleared up one question about what Mbuna where - not going to lie I always thought there was a lake mbuna...

Wills

Mbuna is the word for "rockfish", or something close in the language of the Tonga people that live around Lake Malawi.

Wills said:
I might get to go on my birthday this year
smile.png
I know its sad but even if you dont buy anything its a great experience.

All I would say is - make sure you research your fish before you go a lot of the fish they stock are really rare and not often to hard to keep but there are some monsters and might not mix with lets say your really common fish like guppies etc. But at the same time they do stock fantastic dwarfs that would
smile.png

One things for certain though when you come back you will be wanting a bigger tank
smile.png

Wills

I've got a fish store like that near me.  110,000 square feet of store.  thatpetplace.com  I don't know if its true or not, but they have a fish body shaped touch tank for kids, a huge freshwater section, a separate plant room, inverts, reptiles, birds, furry friends, and an even bigger saltwater section that I've never been able to go through, because my wife loses patience with me after a stroll up and down the rows of freshwater tanks for about an hour.  The best part is that they have a "take a number" option, which means I can just browse and no one comes and asks if I want something... because if they asked, I'd have to say YES!  
laugh.png

wills -Yes your probably right i will be wanting a bigger tank afterwards! haha
Noo dont worry i wouldnt buy a fish that i dont know anything about, if i buy something like that i'll be questioning the staff all day ha 

eaglesaquarium - that fish store sounds cool! im exactly like you, i'll just roam the fish isles for as long as i can haha

Most reactions

Back