Cichlids And Livebearers?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jessman

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I visited my lfs the other day and saw a beautiful cichlid! i know that there are many types of cichlids so i dont have a clue what type it was, it was pinky/red/orangey coloured. 
Anyway, i was wondering, can they live with platys and guppies? and if not guppies can they live with just platys?
are the water and diet requirements the same?
Thanks, Jessman

Without the exact type its difficult to be precise but as a rule, Cichlids really need a species only tank due to their aggressive nature. You could put the dwarf variety in with platys and guppies as long as the tank was the right size but your description sounds like one of the larger types so I wouldn't mix them.

There is nothing difficult about keeping them water and food wise so that shouldn't be a big issue. Its just their aggressive nature that you have to be careful of.

Ahh right. yes i've heard they can be quite aggressive. the two i saw at the lfs were housed with a few angelfish, but clearly they are much bigger than platys! haha. yes im sure the onesi saw were one of the larger ones, they were around 5 or 6" maybe (im not very good at measuring ha). i think ill definately set up a cichlid only tank in the future then, they are beautiful! time to save up some money for another tank! hehe

Also, seeing as angelfish are apparently a part of the cichlid family, i saw some angelfish that were in a seperate tank to the others at the lfs, and they were labelled 'small angelfish' does this mean that they are just babies or do they really stay that size? they were about 1.5" - 2" in length

Livebearers make great tank mates for small Central American Cichlids - Im going to guess from your description that the fish you saw were Rainbow Cichlids -You could have problems with the Guppies but Platties will be fine.

Lunar Jetman said:
Without the exact type its difficult to be precise but as a rule, Cichlids really need a species only tank due to their aggressive nature.

Sorry to flag this up but I dont really agree with this statement at all - I think its a very tunnel vision view of cichlids and is comparable to a statement like all plecs eat algae....

New World Cichlids differ from Old Worlds in that they can be mixed with other fish. New Worlds are fish from Central and Southern America and Old World are from Africa and generally refer to fish from specific lakes like Tangikia and Milawi (spelling sorry I know very little on Old Worlds)

I have been keeping New Worlds for about 8 years now and there are dozens (if not hundreds) of species that can be mixed in a tank not just the dwarfs in fact most South Americans actually do better with other non cichlid fish around them and the same goes for most of the small to mid sized Central American Cichlids . I currently keep a Severum and a Threadfinned Acara with Dwarf Hoplos, Headstanders and Whiptail Cats among others - and I have had many others in similar set ups with few issues with the tank mates.

Sorry to make such a point of this but I feel so passionately about this and getting more people keeping these great fish I just have to speak up when I see such a negative view of such a broad spectrum of fish!

Wills

Any of the apisto species will be fine with livebearers, as will rams.

Wills - Thanks a lot!! ahhh your making me want to go to the lfs right now and get one! haha. one question though, how come they would be ok with platys and not guppies?

The lock man - just had a look at the rams, they're pretty cool!

Its ridiculous how many different species of cichlids there are, amazing :)

The guppies are a smaller fish generally for starters and they are a slower swimmer than the platties the fancy tails would cause reason for interest from the larger fish as well.

Dont get me wrong though the larger the fish you go for the less small fish that are an option which is something that is always to bear in mind. 

Also just realised in by going all guns blazing I have forgotten to ask THE most important question - what size is the tank?

Wills

ive got a 100 ltr at the moment, its a small size for the cichlids right? for the big ones anyway?

Ah right yes afraid it is afraid I got on my high horse somewhat there lol sorry everyone!!

The suggestions above make more sense for this size tank :) I would probably air on the side of Bolivian Rams or Apistos

Wills

I like the bolivian rams, wondering where i could get a hold of them around here, hmmm

Where abouts in Wales are you?

Crikey! Talk about deepest darkest lol :)

Was hoping you were a bit closer to the border and could hop to one of the many amazing shops around Manchester/ Lancashire

Just had a google and you do seem somewhat out on a limb up there - are your local shops any good? It might be worth talking to the staff and seeing what you can order in.

Just had a thought for you if you liked the Rainbow Cichlids Laetacaras or Nannacaras might be a good option for you :)

Wills

Yep, nothing around here! haha
If i was desperate i'm sure id have no problem driving over to Manchester, but it'll depend on how much i want one hehe

maybe i could ask my nearest pets at home, as thats where i saw the other cichlid the other day. ill have another look next time im there :)

Hmm yes they look pretty nice, but id rather something really colourful, or is that just me being greedy? haha

Male Nannacara Anomala are really incredible in the flesh they have a blue metalic colour that does not get pulled out in photos that much. Laetacara are not to everyones tastes but again much better in the flesh than in the pics you see - but just to prove a point though google Laetacara sp.buckelkopf :)

Pets at home should be able to get Bolivian Rams but its not exactly rich pickings if they are your best option :/

If your ever tempted to wander to Manchester Rare Aquatics in Crewe and Pier Aquatics in Wigan are two of the best in the UK and quite a treat for any fish fanatic :)

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back