Chubby Neon Tetra

Amyxo

New Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2023
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Points
1
Location
Wales, UK
Hi all,

I have had a 45 litre (11.8 US Gallons) set up with a Betta, 6 Neons and 3 cherry shrimp for a couple months. Betta is super laidback and nothing seems to bother him.

When I first brought the neons home, I did notice one was a little larger than the rest being a little more rotund around the belly. This particular tetra seems to have always been chased quite a bit too, but if the others catch up to it there is no real aggression or fin nipping just rubbing up against each other. The chasing isn’t all day, everyday either - I notice it mostly in the mornings. The chasing does result in the chubby tetra hiding for a breather now and again, almost just for a rest and it comes out a little later and carries on as normal with its school.

However, this last week or two belly seems even larger. The fish seems fine, it will come up to the surface to eat with the others. But I’m worried this could be a sign of illness? Dropsy perhaps? There is no discolouration or scale issues currently. Did wonder if the fish may be female and egg baring but know it’s not common for this to happen in a community tank.

Water parameters are ok:

Temp 25c
0ppm Ammonia
0ppm Nitrite
20ppm Nitrate
PH 7

Tank has some real plants; was more heavily planted until a couple days ago where I removed some to put in my 115 litre - I was hoping to move all fish in the 45 litre to the larger tank but wary if there is illness.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Amy
 

Attachments

  • 19184163-75A6-45ED-A874-40602B0BEFC3.webp
    19184163-75A6-45ED-A874-40602B0BEFC3.webp
    24 KB · Views: 151
  • BCD51AD9-AEBD-4E98-A9EC-D0167C1A9B37.webp
    BCD51AD9-AEBD-4E98-A9EC-D0167C1A9B37.webp
    30.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 5764C998-DB83-49F7-98A0-119CA76BC53B.webp
    5764C998-DB83-49F7-98A0-119CA76BC53B.webp
    124.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 4591E3B6-D8DC-4F85-8B42-4B7CDC047352.webp
    4591E3B6-D8DC-4F85-8B42-4B7CDC047352.webp
    53.1 KB · Views: 123
She is absolutely full of eggs. The larger, rounder ones are female. Getting the eggs to be fertilized, develop and hatch isn't simple with neons, but hopefully you have soft water and she will be able to unload them with the attentions of the males as you've described.
 
Nothing to be worried about. She's just carrying eggs.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top