The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

itiwhetu

Naturally First
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this

Thought it seemed like a good alternative to a dechlorinator, just trying to be natural!!

Vitamin C filters are simple in design — they contain a solid block of Vitamin C (ascorbic acid), and water runs through the filter and comes into contact with the Vitamin C. The Vitamin C neutralizes about 99% of the chlorine and chloramines in the water, and their effectiveness does not diminish until the Vitamin C is completely used up.

My recommendation for a Vitamin C showerhead is the Sonaki In-Line Filter

The filters last about 2-4 months before they need replacing, depending on how many showers you take. The filter is transparent, so you can see when the Vitamin C has run out.

Refills for the Sonaki filters are priced at $37 for 5 filters.

Last edited:
I think it is USD. I'm not recommending it. I knew nothing about Chloramine before I came to this site. All I did was a google search, and I am now wondering if any of the members of this forum have done the same search and thought, that's a good idea!!

I think if it works as they're stating the fishkeeping community probably would of already picked up on it.
Would be interesting to actually test the water in and out to see rather than rely on some marketing gobledygook
I also have to ask what makes industrially produced ascorbic acid OK in your chemical free system?

Also

My recommendation for a Vitamin C showerhead is the Sonaki In-Line Filter
I'm not recommending it

You related to Donald Trump by any chance? ;)

What is output from the reaction of chloramine + ascorbic acid?

Reactions: kwi
Vitamin C. Ascorbic acid is a natural substance. It's in your oranges. I just feel it is safer than Thiosulfate. And sometimes communities don't look outside the box.

I have seen that the half time of the reaction between ascorbic acid and chloramine is 4 minutes, though am wading through a lot of science at the moment. But the kids are now up so if I remember later I'll resume.
Vitamin C. Ascorbic acid is a natural substance. It's in your oranges. I just feel it is safer than Thiosulfate. And sometimes communities don't look outside the box.
Is chemically produced ascorbic acid natural?

Thiosulfate occurs naturally and is produced by certain biochemical processes. Same as ascorbic acid.

I have seen that the half time of the reaction between ascorbic acid and chloramine is 4 minutes, though am wading through a lot of science at the moment. But the kids are now up so if I remember later I'll resume.

Is chemically produced ascorbic acid natural?
Have fun with it, we are all learning along the way, questions always lead to answers!!

What is output from the reaction of chloramine + ascorbic acid?
Found it (https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=nBCqLMCk6ooC&pg=PA25&lpg=PA25&dq=ascorbic+acid+chloramine+reaction&source=bl&ots=WcOZbpfJyp&sig=ACfU3U2yI4lDxW6KS1FUiLNV2beThLbHRg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiNgJOH8oPsAhXJiVwKHbPZBRs4HhDoATAJegQIBhAB#v=onepage&q=ascorbic acid chloramine reaction&f=false)
Screenshot_20200925_093548.jpg

I'm certain its effective,
Screenshot_20200925_093746.jpg

But is it a more natural and safer way than using thiosulphate? Dunno

Edit - kwi has found evidence that thiosulphate is a natural method

And that is great, I just thought the question needed to be asked and hopefully we have all learnt something along the way.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back