Chloramine removal any one tried this

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I do large almost total water changes. That's my preferred method.
If someone does 25% and it keeps their parameters in control, and it works for them, great, fantastic, keep working it.

But let me share my experience for WHY I do large water changes.

I started off doing the whole 25-50%. Did fine for months, but over time I noticed my nitrates built up slowly and steadily. I started having a whole slew of problems. I tested my nitrates--160ppm+! But I had just done my water change, how did that happen?

It slowly built up because what nitrates were left in my tank after the water change were added upon every so slightly by the next water change. Over the coarse of months it got that bad despite vacuuming and water changes and filter cleaning and plants.

What stopped it?

Performing near total water changes.
My nitrates now range 5-20, increasing to 20 by time my next water change is due.

I stay consistent with my water changes and my fish are happier and healthier with the larger changes compared to my previous routine of just 25-50% weekly.

Plus with fry you need to do daily changes as well. If you can do total changes with fry without ill effect, adult fish can handle the same regiment too.

Thats MY reason for large water changes. I dont expect other people to do the same thing. Different methods work for different people.
But the fact of the matter stands that large water changes, as long as theyre routine, dont harm fish.

As for dechlorinator, I dose the tank amount when I refill. Since I dechlorinate before filling (I use a hose straight from the tap to the tank, no buckets first)
How much plant was in the tank with the rising nitrate levels

What do you do, and how.
I do fairly large (50% +) water changes, about four or five times per year, whenever I notice my nitrate levels starting to get above about 20 ppm. I clean out my canister filter at the same time. The only time I do 75%+ changes is when I need to blast black brush algae. I haven't had that issue for over a year, so hopefully I've finally got things in balance.

Interesting, No problem now with the black water tank I assume. On the tanks like the one with the severums I always do 50% water changes weekly and I set them up with activated carbon in the filters. The severum tank was 300 liters I had two 1000 L/Hr Eheim filters on it so I was moving the contents of the tank through the filters 5-6 times per hour. It became very stable with time.

I do fairly large (50% +) water changes, about four or five times per year, whenever I notice my nitrate levels starting to get above about 20 ppm. I clean out my canister filter at the same time. The only time I do 75%+ changes is when I need to blast black brush algae. I haven't had that issue for over a year, so hopefully I've finally got things in balance.
You must have a good filter system, like I had in the severums read above

Last edited:
Interesting, No problem now with the black water tank I assume. On the tanks like the one with the severums I always do 50% water changes weekly and I set them up with activated carbon in the filters. The severum tank was 300 liters I had two 1000 L/Hr Eheim filters on it so I was moving the contents of the tank through the filters 5-6 times per hour. It became very stable with time.
Would you share photos of your tanks at some point please?

I have up loaded some of the photos of the tanks I have had, and my new African cichlid system. At the moment I have only got two African cichlid tanks with fry in them as they grow I will put up more photos. One is 100 liters and the other 60.

I have up loaded some of the photos of the tanks I have had, and my new African cichlid system. At the moment I have only got two African cichlid tanks with fry in them as they grow I will put up more photos. One is 100 liters and the other 60.
Where did you upload them? Sorry, I'm not good at finding things here yet!

There is a post about severums another about silver dollars. Im not sure but you may be to go to my profile and see the posts or threads I have put up

There are many things that can determine how much water you need to change. A new tank is not stable in the beginning and nitrates tend to rise more. The stock you have and amount also make a difference. For instance, my 75G goldfish tank gets a 70% water change each week. Why? Because 2 huge goldfish and a bn pleco make a lot of poop. Goldfish eat almost any plant and those that they don’t, they dig up. So fake plants. There nitrates get to about 40ppm by cleaning day. My 29G with tetras, danios, cherry barbs and mountain minnows only gets to about 30ppm. Both of those get 70% water changes. Both are established. My 55G Tetra and Cory tank has to get a 70% on cleaning day and another 25% during mid-week. Nitrates are up to 30% by then. Why? The tank is new and not well established yet. My bettas never get over 10ppm so they get a 50% w/c weekly. So all tanks are different and a one size fits all just can’t work.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back