Chloramine removal any one tried this

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

True, but it would be nice if someone would say, Haven't seen that will have a look at it or thanks for showing me something new or it is nice to see a different approach. Or can you explain further, rather than tell me that I am going to do experiments and kill fish. You have no idea what I am about.
I'm looking more into the Walstad method and planning to get her book as a result of your threads, so these are still worthwhile discussions to have, even if you don't have scores of people symbolically throwing away their declorinators yet.

It is good and interesting to see different methods. @kwi and @mbsqw1d were clearly interested and looking into it, and @kwi even agreed to set up a tank for testing - just without fish. You have to give credit where credit is due too ;)

And even if people are not sold on it and decide to stick with declorinator, it doesn't mean they're evil company stooges either. Fish keeping is already complex, so something they haven't seen to be harmful that means they can use their tap water immediately and is used widely is likely going to appeal more than needing to set up some elaborate system, unless it has proven benefits. That's pretty understandable.

Added after new post: You haven't been able to explain how 75% water changes are harmful either. You believed it would affect the cycle, when beneficial bacteria don't live in the water column.

Does anyone test their water for chlorine/chloramine? I presume there are testing kits? Given that our water sources vary and so must the amount of chlorine, it could be better to work out exactly how much dechlorinater is required rather than just go with the manufacturer's recommendation? As we could be over/under dosing?
There are testing kits, and as I've mentioned water boards dose their disinfectant at rates in reaction to coliforms in the water so it does vary. But has to stay below a certain level.

First it splits chloramine to chlorine and ammonia then reacts with the chlorine to produce dehydroascorbic acid, hydrochloric acid and water.

Edited for spelling :blush:
The hydrochloric acid bit doesn't sound very healthy?

The reason I don't like 75% water changes is simple you remove 75% of the water and dose the new water with dechlorinator, that new water then is diluted by 33% when placed back in the tank. A 25% water change will be diluted by 300% when put back in the tank and the amount of Chloramine/Chlorine and dechlorinator will be 1/3 of the 75% water change

Not sure I understand that to be honest.

I've enjoyed the posts mostly. Bit of debate - and it's nice to see the reasoning behind approaches. But there's no need to get offended that everyone isn't chucking out their products & changing their approaches. Certainly not when you've yet to produce evidence that they're doing it wrong. Interesting questions, yep. Anecdotal evidence a plenty. It's kinda like when you become a new mom & every essential oils sales person descends on you. It's natural so it's best and healing. When in reality those essential oils off gas volatile organic compounds. They pollute the air & are bad for your health.

In short - trust the science. Just because it's a chemical doesn't mean it's bad.

For no other reason, with 25% water changes you will use a third of the dechlorinator than you do now and that money could go into buying fish.

I treat my water in the bucket. The temporay overdose of conditioner and then adding tap water directly puts me off the idea of pythons to fill.

Have you seen the price of fish over here??????:oops:

I treat my water in the bucket. The temporay overdose of conditioner and then adding tap water directly puts me off the idea of pythons to fill.

Have you seen the price of fish over here??????:oops:
What size tank(s) do you have kwi?

I don't do 70% water changes. In a 150 gallon tank that does not live at my home? :oops:

I don't know if there's a "standard for this forum," though some people seem to think so on some issues. There's usually more than one way to do something. Trying new methods is great. Most of us are busy people who tend to go for what's convenient and what's a sure thing.

I don't do 70% water changes. In a 150 gallon tank that does not live at my home? :oops:

I don't know if there's a "standard for this forum," though some people seem to think so on some issues. There's usually more than one way to do something. Trying new methods is great. Most of us are busy people who tend to go for what's convenient and what's a sure thing.
What do you do, and how.

I do large almost total water changes. That's my preferred method.
If someone does 25% and it keeps their parameters in control, and it works for them, great, fantastic, keep working it.

But let me share my experience for WHY I do large water changes.

I started off doing the whole 25-50%. Did fine for months, but over time I noticed my nitrates built up slowly and steadily. I started having a whole slew of problems. I tested my nitrates--160ppm+! But I had just done my water change, how did that happen?

It slowly built up because what nitrates were left in my tank after the water change were added upon every so slightly by the next water change. Over the coarse of months it got that bad despite vacuuming and water changes and filter cleaning and plants.

What stopped it?

Performing near total water changes.
My nitrates now range 5-20, increasing to 20 by time my next water change is due.

I stay consistent with my water changes and my fish are happier and healthier with the larger changes compared to my previous routine of just 25-50% weekly.

Plus with fry you need to do daily changes as well. If you can do total changes with fry without ill effect, adult fish can handle the same regiment too.

Thats MY reason for large water changes. I dont expect other people to do the same thing. Different methods work for different people.
But the fact of the matter stands that large water changes, as long as theyre routine, dont harm fish.

As for dechlorinator, I dose the tank amount when I refill. Since I dechlorinate before filling (I use a hose straight from the tap to the tank, no buckets first)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back