Chloramine removal any one tried this

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

That's not unusual, most people have a tendency to be wary of 'scary sounding' chemical names. Hell, salt is just sodium chloride if you want to get technical, but then people wouldn't be so keen to put it on their chips :p

That's not unusual, most people have a tendency to be wary of 'scary sounding' chemical names. Hell, salt is just sodium chloride if you want to get technical, but then people wouldn't be so keen to put it on their chips :p
I'm not sure that thiosulphate and vitamin C are the same thing. But I know that Sodium Chloride and Salt are

And hydrogen oxide is so dangerous every thing that comes in contact with it dies, yet develops a dependancy so also dies in the absence of it.

I'm not sure that thiosulphate and vitamin C are the same thing. But I know that Sodium Chloride and Salt are

I meant as in vitamin C sounds more palatable than thiosulphate.
Sodium chloride can be more comfortably referred to as salt, ascorbic acid can be more comfortably referred to as vitamin C. I was just saying that chemicals don't sound as threatening when they have an easy to understand label.

No not the same thing but both are found naturally. Though the ones we used are produced.

But no matter how you spin it how can any process removing an unnatural additive thing be deemed natural?

I thought I might have been able to make your life easier. But you want to buy your bottles of water conditioner and drip it ( inaccurately ) into your tanks good on you, carry on. The rest of the world will move on.

I thought I might have been able to make your life easier. But you want to buy your bottles of water conditioner and drip it ( inaccurately ) into your tanks good on you, carry on.
And how is passing water at an unregulated flow rate over a stone any more accurate? The half time of the chloramine/ascorbic reaction is 4 minutes, that means the reacting chloramine is halfed every four minutes, so you have to ensure that all the chloramine gets time to react and long enough.
Interesting thought experiment though.
The rest of the world will move on.
True.

Do you know what amazes me about this site. At first I thought I could get you guys to consider removing Dechlorinator from your kit. When I realized that wasn't going to happen and maybe not possible I came up with an alternative solution and you still jumped on me, I could swear you all work for either API or Seachem, It is scary.

Water conditioners not only remove chlorine/chloramine but metals too, now I know I have no chloramine I could aerate my water to remove chlorine, but it would be before putting it anywhere near livestock.

You're recomending substituting one synthisised naturally occuring chemical for another synthisised naturally occuring chemical just because you like the name better...........

You seem to be all for challenging our thinking, but you seem very closed minded yourself.

Have you caused me to think about my tank a bit more? Yes, I've read more and done a bit more research.
Have you convinced me your way is best for me? Not really, but I've enjoyed the process.

Do you know what amazes me about this site. At first I thought I could get you guys to consider removing Dechlorinator from your kit. When I realized that wasn't going to happen and maybe not possible I came up with an alternative solution and you still jumped on me, I could swear you all work for either API or Seachem, It is scary.
There's no need to lash out just because people are wanting to check the science behind an idea before just exposing their fish to a potentially fatal substance.

If there was proof that declorinators are harmful, that would be one thing. But we haven't seen that yet.

If there was evidence that this way was indeed more natural and could be done safely, that would also be another matter.

People not immediately jumping on board doesn't mean they're evil or company stooges, and insulting people rather than backing up your claims doesn't sway people either.

There's no need to lash out just because people are wanting to check the science behind an idea before just exposing their fish to a potentially fatal substance.

If there was proof that declorinators are harmful, that would be one thing. But we haven't seen that yet.

If there was evidence that this way was indeed more natural and could be done safely, that would also be another matter.

People not immediately jumping on board doesn't mean they're evil or company stooges, and insulting people rather than backing up your claims doesn't sway people either.
True, but it would be nice if someone would say, Haven't seen that will have a look at it or thanks for showing me something new or it is nice to see a different approach. Or can you explain further, rather than tell me that I am going to do experiments and kill fish. You have no idea what I am about.

I could swear you all work for either API or Seachem, It is scary.

Lol, may seem it is like that but no, much simpler than that.

Both the API and Seachem dechlorinator brands of products have been proven to work very well for making tap water safe from chlorine, chloramines and any other heavy metals from the tap water thus providing a good water parameter base for our livestock.

The livestock of our aquariums comes first before anything else, no question of that at all, and perhaps in an ideal world we would not add any chemicals to our tanks at all whatsoever but this is not an ideal world and we have to make compromises for this.

But other than just adding dechlorinator to make safe our tap water to our tanks means I think we’re doing pretty well.

We are not all scientists and not all of us want to go ahead to try with things that we do not fully understand about so that’s probably the main reason why we stay with what is proven to be safe to use, within reason of course.

By the way , If you do a google search for water changing aquariums. The first results all say change around 25% weekly. How does this site get to 75% water changes as standard. I would say that was harming your fish. But you don't condone that.

Does anyone test their water for chlorine/chloramine? I presume there are testing kits? Given that our water sources vary and so must the amount of chlorine, it could be better to work out exactly how much dechlorinater is required rather than just go with the manufacturer's recommendation? As we could be over/under dosing?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back