Cherry Shrimp

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

shaz3271

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i have just got myself 16 cherry shrimp off ebay and im really looking forward to them arriving

any of you lovely shrimp owners out there got any hints or tips on there care.

i would be very greatful

many thanks

sharon :shifty:

i have just got myself 16 cherry shrimp off ebay and im really looking forward to them arriving

i would be very greatful

many thanks

I also got cherry shrimp off ebay a few weeks back and it didnt go well(lost 6 of 12)after talking to people on a shrimp forum we think I PH shocked them.My PH was very low and their PH must have been a lot higher.You should acclimate them using the drip method over the space of at least 2 hours(3-4 is not over the top).Aim for 1 drip every 30 secs or so(mine was prob nearer every 10).Then float the bag for about 20mins pouring in small amounts of tank water every 5 mins.It sounds a lot of work but im guessing you paid quite a lot for them so you dont want to risk losing them.For the first week my survivers huddled in the top corner of my tank and I couldnt work out why.I decided it must be my low PH/GH/KH(even though it says they can live in lower).So I put some crushed coral in my filter and literally within a few hours they started moving about and its a week later and they are acting like normal cherry shrimp.Did you get them from gogosnails by any chance?

What kind of tank do you have?

Anyone who knows better, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think cherries are small enough that even 10 gallons would be comfy for them. I'd suggest plenty of vegetation -- it makes them feel more secure, so they'll have brighter colours. A couple of moss balls will ensure they always have some food source (cladophora moss balls are actually a kind of algae), and a real moss (java/christmas/willow/whatever) will provide them with plenty of cover (as well as probably an additional food source). You could supplement their diet with some kind of skinking food like catfish pellets or hikari wafers (though frankly, my shrimp ignore hikari wafers these days, prefering to just graze on the moss balls).

Other than that, like ~T~ says -- all shrimp are very sensitive to water quality, especially sudden changes. If they start exploring the tank and picking algae off things, they're happy. If they don't -- check your water quality pronto!

i would be very greatful

many thanks

I also got cherry shrimp off ebay a few weeks back and it didnt go well(lost 6 of 12)after talking to people on a shrimp forum we think I PH shocked them.My PH was very low and their PH must have been a lot higher.You should acclimate them using the drip method over the space of at least 2 hours(3-4 is not over the top).Aim for 1 drip every 30 secs or so(mine was prob nearer every 10).Then float the bag for about 20mins pouring in small amounts of tank water every 5 mins.It sounds a lot of work but im guessing you paid quite a lot for them so you dont want to risk losing them.For the first week my survivers huddled in the top corner of my tank and I couldnt work out why.I decided it must be my low PH/GH/KH(even though it says they can live in lower).So I put some crushed coral in my filter and literally within a few hours they started moving about and its a week later and they are acting like normal cherry shrimp.Did you get them from gogosnails by any chance?

hi

thanks for the advice i will be carefull, my ph is around 7.8 ?

yes gogosnails is where i have got them from

did you?

sharon

What kind of tank do you have?

Anyone who knows better, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think cherries are small enough that even 10 gallons would be comfy for them. I'd suggest plenty of vegetation -- it makes them feel more secure, so they'll have brighter colours. A couple of moss balls will ensure they always have some food source (cladophora moss balls are actually a kind of algae), and a real moss (java/christmas/willow/whatever) will provide them with plenty of cover (as well as probably an additional food source). You could supplement their diet with some kind of skinking food like catfish pellets or hikari wafers (though frankly, my shrimp ignore hikari wafers these days, prefering to just graze on the moss balls).

Other than that, like ~T~ says -- all shrimp are very sensitive to water quality, especially sudden changes. If they start exploring the tank and picking algae off things, they're happy. If they don't -- check your water quality pronto!

thanks for the info

there going in my 45 gallon community tank, there is plenty of plants and i do have one moss ball in there.

so it looks like im set, fingers crossed they will be ok

sharon

I got my first load from gogosnails last summer and they were fine(although all eventually died due to me know knowing how to care for them properly).My last lot came from a seller thats no longer listed for some reason.

What other inhabitants are in your community tank as only certain fish wont eat them.Mine live with galaxy rasbora(although I'm told they will eat the shrimplets), pygmy corys and ottos.Any barbs and bigger tetras will eat them as will most loaches(even khuli).

I got my first load from gogosnails last summer and they were fine(although all eventually died due to me know knowing how to care for them properly).My last lot came from a seller thats no longer listed for some reason.

What other inhabitants are in your community tank as only certain fish wont eat them.Mine live with galaxy rasbora(although I'm told they will eat the shrimplets), pygmy corys and ottos.Any barbs and bigger tetras will eat them as will most loaches(even khuli).

right i have guppies, endlers, platies,mollies, neons , glowlight tetra, bronze corys, 1 female betta, cherry barbs, zebra danios, 1 khuli, bristlenose plecs, few snails. think thats all

will the cherry shrimp be ok with them lot.

sharon

Hmmm... From what I've read, endlers and neons should be ok... Can't say much for the others, but I think most of them will consider shrimp a tasty meal. :unsure: 'Fraid I'm pushing the limits of my (somewhat limited) knowledge here, but at the very least, make sure they have loads of hiding places and plenty of cover. A dense patch of ferns might be helpful -- somewhere the fish can't swim to, but the shrimp can happily wander around.

Even so -- I fear at least one or two might be eaten...

The shrimp you get will probably be juveniles and so are quite small, they will need to moult a lot while they are growing, that’s when they are most vulnerable so give them as many hiding places as possible to increase their chances of survival. The endlers, bristlenose and cories are the only ones that you can be sure wont trouble the shrimp. Everything you have except maybe the bristlenose and snails will eat the babies. So lots of hiding places some high in the tank to decrease the chances of the kuli getting them as they moult.

Yeah you will most likely have a few eaten even if you give them lots of hiding places ... and the shrimp may die of the stress of living with so many fish and having to constantly hide.

Yep the only ones that are shrimp safe would be the endlers and neons.The rest with see the shrimp as a tasty meal, the cherry barbs and betta in particular.Could you not keep them in with the snails, they would be safe in there.

Yep the only ones that are shrimp safe would be the endlers and neons.The rest with see the shrimp as a tasty meal, the cherry barbs and betta in particular.Could you not keep them in with the snails, they would be safe in there.
And even then those fish will still eat any babies that the RCS have. My theory is your shrimp will slowly be eaten one by one until you have no more left. The best thing to do is have a separate shrimp only tank to start a RCS breeding colony and add shrimp from there.

Do dead shrimp float? I just recieved a batch a juveniles off of a great seller on ebay and drip acclimated them and everything... I can only find two of the shrimp so I'm guessing they're hiding somewhere since I cant find the others at all. The only fish in that tank currently are 3 corys so they shouldn't have been eaten. I was just curious since I have no clue where the little guys are.

Yeah you will most likely have a few eaten even if you give them lots of hiding places ... and the shrimp may die of the stress of living with so many fish and having to constantly hide.

thanks for that thats made me feel so much better,,,,lol

well my tank has lots of hiding places lots of moss and plants

i will just have to see how it goes

i will get my 10 gallon going just incase

sharon

not really its a bare bottom tank, not very shrimp frendly.

im thinking of getting my 10 gallon going, i have lots of moss and plants i can move over

sharon

are cherry shrimp smaller then the algae shrimp?

thanks for that thats made me feel so much better,,,,lol

well my tank has lots of hiding places lots of moss and plants

i will just have to see how it goes

i will get my 10 gallon going just incase

sharon

not really its a bare bottom tank, not very shrimp frendly.

im thinking of getting my 10 gallon going, i have lots of moss and plants i can move over

sharon

are cherry shrimp smaller then the algae shrimp?

That shouldnt make a difference, its not essential to have a substrate.As long as theres some plants to hide in(java moss in particular), plus it could mean the difference in them living or dieing.As long as the params are good I dont see why they couldnt live in there.The PH should be perfect as they like it hard alkaline.The cherrys I got off gogosnails ranged from tiny to large.

think im going with the 10 gallon going to get it set up tonight :hyper: exciting times

i will just clone it from the main tank ready cycled :rolleyes:

and will put a few endlers in there until the shrimp arrive

sharon :good:

Most reactions

trending

Back