Cherry Shrimp

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Do dead shrimp float? I just recieved a batch a juveniles off of a great seller on ebay and drip acclimated them and everything... I can only find two of the shrimp so I'm guessing they're hiding somewhere since I cant find the others at all. The only fish in that tank currently are 3 corys so they shouldn't have been eaten. I was just curious since I have no clue where the little guys are.
Nah, dead shrimp don't float. Don't worry about it they are really good hiders ;)

I'm planning on adding a pair of rams do you think they will terrorize my shrimps? I've read they are extremely timid so I'm guessing they'd probably be ok with them but Just wondering if you guys had any experience

i have set up the tank now, just going out today to get something to put on the back and a few stones to add ricca and java moss, i have 3 more moss balls on order, so it should be great for them.

i will try post a pic when im happy with it

sharon

I'm planning on adding a pair of rams do you think they will terrorize my shrimps? I've read they are extremely timid so I'm guessing they'd probably be ok with them but Just wondering if you guys had any experience
I would NOT get Rams. They will most likely eat your shrimp.

i have set up the tank now, just going out today to get something to put on the back and a few stones to add ricca and java moss, i have 3 more moss balls on order, so it should be great for them.

sharon
Cool, the shrimp will appreciate the moss :good: Looking forward to those pictures :)

sharon

Sounds good BUT any new plants you buy will have to be thoughrgly rinsed and if possible aloowed to sit in another tank.Many shops treat their plants with snail killer and adding them to a tank of shrimp will result in a tank of dead shrimp before you can say "WTF?".I know my lfs keeps their moss balls in the main plant section and its treated with snail killer.I know I sound a bit anal(lol)here but shrimp are different to fish in that they will not just look a bit stressed if somethings not right they will die and die quick(I know from experience).

not a great picture im afraid.

just waiting for my shrimp to arrive now.

i will put the moss balls in my other tank for a while to make sure there ok

thanks

sharon

Sounds good BUT any new plants you buy will have to be thoughrgly rinsed and if possible aloowed to sit in another tank.Many shops treat their plants with snail killer and adding them to a tank of shrimp will result in a tank of dead shrimp before you can say "WTF?".I know my lfs keeps their moss balls in the main plant section and its treated with snail killer.I know I sound a bit anal(lol)here but shrimp are different to fish in that they will not just look a bit stressed if somethings not right they will die and die quick(I know from experience).
Good Advice.

not a great picture im afraid.

just waiting for my shrimp to arrive now.

i will put the moss balls in my other tank for a while to make sure there ok

thanks

sharon
The tank looks nice ;) Your shrimp are going to love that. And thanks for following ~T~'s advice :)

Tank looks GREAT :drool:

Only other things I can think of is try and have the filter intake covered with a prefilter if you can and for cherries a your water should be slightly hard alkaline.

Other than that I bet you get hooked like me and RESGuy :shifty:

Question:

When cherry shrimp shed their skin, should you remove the skin from the aquarium or let your 'cleanup crew' take care of it. I have 1 cherry shrimp in my 20 gallon tank with 2 ottos and a blue mystery snail. Will the ottos and the snail take care of it or should I remove it? Today I just removed it but I wasn't sure if it might be a tasty treat for the other inhabitants.

-Darke

Question:

When cherry shrimp shed their skin, should you remove the skin from the aquarium or let your 'cleanup crew' take care of it. I have 1 cherry shrimp in my 20 gallon tank with 2 ottos and a blue mystery snail. Will the ottos and the snail take care of it or should I remove it? Today I just removed it but I wasn't sure if it might be a tasty treat for the other inhabitants.

-Darke

Mine always eat their own sheds, I would just leave it in there and it should get eaten.

Tank looks GREAT :drool:

Only other things I can think of is try and have the filter intake covered with a prefilter if you can and for cherries a your water should be slightly hard alkaline.

Other than that I bet you get hooked like me and RESGuy :shifty:
Right, if you want the RCS to breed you should put a pre-filter sponge over the filters intake to stop any shrimplets from being sucked in :crazy:
Hehe Yeah, wait 'til you get the "shrimp bug" :shout: :hyper:

Question:

-Darke
You should leave it in, the shrimp usually eat their own sheds, it is good for them ;)

You should leave it in, the shrimp usually eat their own sheds, it is good for them ;)

I think it depends. Mine sometimes just ignore their old skins. As long as they're getting enough nutrients from elsewhere, I think it's more a question of aesthetics. ;)

thanks for all your help guys . :flowers:

i dont know how to cover the intake on a stingray filter, but i will give it some thought its definatly a good idea.

i will update again when the shrimp arrive fingers crossed they will get here with no problems.

cheers :friends:

sharon

edit: shrimp bug ,i think i already have it im already looking at what species i can get next :blink:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back