changed to malawi cichlids

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nuttyfishgirl

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i now have malawi cichlids in my tank i buffered the ph in the tank and have rock to help keep the ph stable ... is there anything else that cichlids like as i never kept cichlids before and 2 different lfs near me gave me 2 very different pieces of info ... all help much appreciated xxx

thanks xxx

Is there anything specific you need to know? Are you keeping mbuna or haps? What species so far? Confilicting info happens all the time because even among 'malawi cichlids' there are many different fish with different needs. Generalizations are never good, but especially not with cichlids - if you hear one, assume it's not right, or at least not accurate.

If it's mbuna you're thinking about, the pinned post is a good start. What are you getting conflicting info on?

im unsure on which i have tbh i know i have 2 red zebras and also 2 which the last part of the name sounds a bit like elongatus ... they are very blue

i have 2 which are a bit spotty in camouflage colours ( yellowy green background with khaki splodges)

i have a couple that are yellow with a black stripe the full length of their fin)

i guess i should take some pics lol

id like to know if there are any particular kinds of rock which they like i have lots of salate at the mo but been told it could lower the ph ???ni also have limestone in there and sand and gravel

foood ??? im using cichlid granules, flakes and cucumber at the mo

see a dymb fish keeper lol but i :wub: them all to bits hehehe

Those are mbuna of moderate aggression (for mbuna). The yellow ones are lab caeruleus, very hardy and get along with almost any mbuna.

Check out that artical since it contains all the basics, then post back with further questions or conflicting info and we'll see how we can help you out.

amazin pinned topic

my only concern is my tap water ph is 6.0 how often should i do a water change ... i will need to use bicarbs soda i think too ???

my tank is 4ft x 2ft x 2ft, how i have 12 cichlids in there ... what would be my maximim amount to keep without overstocking

Lime stone and coral sand are great to up your ph, you could try a buffer from most Aquatic centres but that could turn out expensive. 12 seems a bit too much for a tank of your size, but other people could disagree as they like to be a bit crowded to ease aggression, also 3 females to 1 male is a good ratio :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back