changed to malawi cichlids

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

:S Never heard of a blue Zebra, Ive got 4 red and 4 pink though :D Your tank looks fine, def put some Lime stone rocks or Lava rock from them to hide in :kewlpics:

Yeh I know what you mean, Texas holy rock is lovely ( but you cant get it here ) :no: in the UK I mean. Coral or Ocean rock is good too. Ive got Lime stone and lava rock in mine ( I posted it not so long back) there's more rock in there now though :kana: I see you've changed your sig :cool:

ssarah30 said:
12 seems a bit too much for a tank of your size, but other people could disagree as they like to be a bit crowded to ease aggression, also 3 females to 1 male is a good ratio :D
12 is by no means crowded for a 4 x 2 x 2 tank, you can easily home 20+ if selected right and you keep up your maintainence.

i have kept over 30 before in a similiar sized tank.

gixer said:
ssarah30 said:
12 seems a bit too much for a tank of your size, but other people could disagree as they like to be a bit crowded to ease aggression, also 3 females to 1 male is a good ratio :D
12 is by no means crowded for a 4 x 2 x 2 tank, you can easily home 20+ if selected right and you keep up your maintainence.

i have kept over 30 before in a similiar sized tank.
cheers all advice is good advice

i would like more in there but not got a great variety around here in my lfs places

so need to look further afield

hmmmmmm

this should only be done with carefully selected fish though and a strict maintenance regime.

racking my brains to think of a lfs near wigan now with nice mbuna :S

pretty sure there was one in widnes, but not been there in years, will try to look on thursday as i'm working in widnes thursday/friday

nuttyfishgirl said:
lol anyone know why there is a red envelope next to this topic as opposed to a blue one in the very first column?
think its now classed as a "hot topic" or something coz its had so many replies now ;)

gixer said:
this should only be done with carefully selected fish though and a strict maintenance regime.

racking my brains to think of a lfs near wigan now with nice mbuna :S

pretty sure there was one in widnes, but not been there in years, will try to look on thursday as i'm working in widnes thursday/friday
thank you so much ... there is bas in bolton which is where my last ones came from nice cichlids but most of them too big to add to my others , and pier aquatics which is in wigan they have wonderful fish but not much choice

In a 4x2x2 tank you can do 30 easily, or even 40. Some who really like it crowded would go even higher, though the maintenance goes up as stocking levels do. If you don't stock heavily enough you could end up with aggession issues.

Don't forget what I said about generalizations though. This is based on species similar to what you have.

Your tap water is 6.0?? If this is the case, don't expect stone and coral to make much of a difference. The more alkaline (higher ph) your water is, the better this stuff tends to work. Your tap water is low due to a lack of minerals, and I'm afraid additives might be your only solution. I'm not talking about that lousy ph up stuff, I'm talking about adding the minerals directly through additives readily available.

nuttyfishgirl said:
i would like more in there but not got a great variety around here in my lfs places

so need to look further afield
Oasis Aquatics in Salford.

Great selection of Mbuna (and some haps too).

steve

(beat ya to it Ferris!! :p )

Most reactions

trending

Back