can someone help me identify this gourami.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stacey1990

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just that really, can anyone tell me what type of gourami these are? Sorry the pics aren't great.

Attachments

• 20200627_152546.jpg
    20200627_152546.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 145
  • 20200627_152526.jpg
    20200627_152526.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 132
You can't really tell from the pics but they have almost like a spotted pattern on their fins.

Gold gourami, Trichopodus trichopterus

So they are peaceful right? My stupid husband thought he was doing something nice and just came home with them. I'm worried about how they'll get on with my female dwarf gourami.

The can be aggressive, more so than many other gourami. Having another gourami in there can pose a problem.

They can be a little on the aggressive side at times... how big is the tank theyre in?

One of those looks to be female at least.

And female dwarf gouramis are relatively mild mannered compared to the males... so that may work in your favour

Its a 110 litre. I could kill him, I asked if they were male or female and he was told they know? Shouldn't they know this?

Gold gouramis are one of the varieties of three-spot and unfortunately they are at the aggressive end of the behaviour spectrum. More information here:

I would see if the shop will take them back, and somehow train your husband not to buy fish without your permission - and you choose them he just pays ;)

Its a 110 litre. I could kill him, I asked if they were male or female and he was told they know? Shouldn't they know this?
I've been there! Haha... my husband brought me home glass catfish once, without knowing how delicate they are and how they wouldn't suit my tanks because of their needs. They died in the bag on the way home from the store.

They mean well, but sometimes they don't think first :p

I think the reasoning behind it was because one of my female dwarf gourami dies last week, I was intending on buying another but they didn't have any females when I went. He's obviously just though ohhhh gourami, ill take two lol.
I have already acclimatised them and added them to the tank so I will be keeping a close eye, the first sign of aggression and they will be going back to the shop.

Sorry I should have probably said to start with, he was told these were dwarf gourami. Is this correct? Can you get dwarfs this colour?

There are no gold coloured dwarf gouramis. The fish in your photos are the wrong shape for dwarfs.

I'm afraid your husband fell foul of the usual LFS 'we'll say anything, we just want to make a sale' policy.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back