can someone help me identify this gourami.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sorry I should have probably said to start with, he was told these were dwarf gourami. Is this correct? Can you get dwarfs this colour?

It is the shape--these could not possibly be dwarf gourami, but I don't think there is a gold colour dwarf. But these fish have the longer and narrower profile of Tichopodus trichopterus, which is now available in many different varieties/colours.

Don't expect store staff to know anything. I had a person in one store once tell me that the four pencilfish in the rummynose tetra tank were Siamese Algae Eaters. I knew exactly what they were, I just asked her for the price, and she said they were SAE. The mind boggles.

Edit. Essjay posted as I was typing, same info.

:mad::mad::mad: what a bloody farce. I can't believe they've sold these as dwarfs and couldn't even tell if they were male or female.

Did your husband ask if they were dwarfs? That would have prompted a 'yes of course they are' from a worker who didn't know what they were.
And very few LFS workers are able to tell the difference between male and female gouramis. Most of them can't even tell the difference between male and female guppies.

Now husband thinks I'm being ungrateful. Thinks I'm ridiculous when I talk about certain fish being aggressive etc......

Now husband thinks I'm being ungrateful. Thinks I'm ridiculous when I talk about certain fish being aggressive etc......
I'm sorry to hear that. He did mean well. I would let him know you appreciate the gesture and would love to keep them, but the pet store sold you guys the wrong fish.

Shift the blame.

Get another tank. Put the gold gouramis in that one. At least a 30 gallon as these guys get good sized

Everyone wins ;)

I already have another tank for my little betta, I don't think he'll agree to a third lol, especially not a biggish one.

Do people think its best to keep an eye and see how they get on or just take them straight back? They're in there now and only seem interested in each other at the min but obviously I know that can change quickly.
My tank is a peaceful one so don't want to risk that.

Personally if this one isn't already 30 gallons or larger, I'd return them as gold gouramis get bigger, like almost 6 inches each.

Thank you. I was never sure whether it was uk or US gallons to go by
Tbh I have no clue, but it'd be about 24 UK it seems according to Google conversion.

Do you know the measurements of the tank?

I would take them back. tell your husband that he was mis-sold the wrong fish and that under the Trade Description Act you are entitled to your money back, or have them replaced by the correct fish. Your husband may be willing to swap them for real dwarf gouramis if he understands that these fish were sold as the wrong species.

tell him it's a bit like him buying a Jack Russell puppy only to discover the cage was labelled wrong and it's really a great dane.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back