Can i feed my Betta raw/cooked shrimp? He has been with me for almost 1 year

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Davi720

Reaction score
(Sorry if i mispelled something, i'm just an young brazilian guy who wants to know more about his pet)

(Sorry if i mispelled something, i'm just an young brazilian guy who wants to know more about his pet)
You CAN however feed your betta freeze dried or frozen brine shrimp or blood worms but only as a treat. These should never be his main diet. If you go with freeze dried make sure you soak the food in tank water so its soft. If your betta eats it while it's dry he'll get bloated. Daphnia is a great food for betta as well as a quality betta pellet or flake brand. I like to mix my little guy's diet with his pellets and daphnia, he enjoys one blood worm once a week as a snack. Make sure you don't overfeed, betta have a stomach a little smaller than the size of one eye so they are prone to easy constipation!

I cant see a problem with a tiny bit of raw fresh water shrimp and I mean about the size of a pellet. I used to give my girls fresh water muscle as a treat, and they loved live Malaysian Trumpet snail, and Mystery snail, and red cherry shrimp, and live guppy fry, small maggots

Simple reply No! Betta have a weak digestive system and can get constipated easily that's the reason for most of there deaths.
Hope this helped

I cant see a problem with a tiny bit of raw fresh water shrimp and I mean about the size of a pellet. I used to give my girls fresh water muscle as a treat, and they loved live Malaysian Trumpet snail, and Mystery snail, and red cherry shrimp, and live guppy fry, small maggots
I thought he meant like Big shrimp, grocery store kind.

Simple reply No! Betta have a weak digestive system and can get constipated easily that's the reason for most of there deaths.
Hope this helped
how will that hurt his digestion, you know they are pure carnivores right?

Feeding fish cooked meat is a no go. A tiny bit of raw shrimp would be fine, as Nick said. I feed my bettas frozen plankton (basically like little shrimp), blood worms, insect larva like mosquitoes and fruit flies, the occasional spider that finds it's way close to the water's edge, and they eat the rams horn snails in the tank.

Pellet food should always be the staple in a betta diet, everything else is just a treat. I alternate plankton and blood worms twice a week.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back