Brown Algae

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

crupp29

Reaction score
Just today I noticed some brown algae in the fish tank I have been cycling for a couple of weeks. The water has been tested regularly and at this point, the tank seems to have finished cycling. I plan on doing a large water change later this week and getting a couple fish this weekend. The tank has four plants, some driftwood, and some rock. I’ve been using Seachem Stability and Ammonium Chloride to cycle the tank. Also, I have been adding fertilizer once a week (API Leaf Zone). I’m not sure if any of these products are the cause for the algae, but I thought I would include it just in case. I read that high nitrates could be the cause for the brown algae, but haven’t read anything above 5ppm for nitrates since I began testing the water a couple of weeks ago.

Sure.

Attachments

• 2973E2FC-173A-4449-A914-5BA947F6B0C7.jpeg
    2973E2FC-173A-4449-A914-5BA947F6B0C7.jpeg
    269.6 KB · Views: 99
  • AFFEDCBA-8744-4352-8823-C602D00B9A93.jpeg
    AFFEDCBA-8744-4352-8823-C602D00B9A93.jpeg
    214.3 KB · Views: 99
How many hours a day do you leave the lights on for? Do you dose any liquid fertilizers?

I wouldn't bother with the leaf zone just yet until the plants have established themselves. Unless they are fast growers they won't be taking anything nutrient-wise in yet I would imagine until they've settled.
Diatoms are pretty standard for a new set up as well so it's not that you're doing anything wrong, just annoying!

I wouldn't bother with the leaf zone just yet until the plants have established themselves. Unless they are fast growers they won't be taking anything nutrient-wise in yet I would imagine until they've settled.
Diatoms are pretty standard for a new set up as well so it's not that you're doing anything wrong, just annoying!
But how do you get rid of them..? They are all over the plants in my newly set up tank...it looks horrible ?

But how do you get rid of them..? They are all over the plants in my newly set up tank...it looks horrible ?
I know, they're gross! I struggled with my krib tank but I added a few otos and they polished them off within the day! They do eventually go on their own, keep doing your water changes and cleaning them off by hand. I think it's silicates that they eat so once their food source goes they should bog off!

I know, they're gross! I struggled with my krib tank but I added a few otos and they polished them off within the day! They do eventually go on their own, keep doing your water changes and cleaning them off by hand. I think it's silicates that they eat so once their food source goes they should bog off!
Thank you, I’ve used play sand as the base, is that likely to be the cause?

Why do I never read the critical piece of information until after the event...??? ?‍♀️
We live and learn Nanna! I've kept fish for over 15 years and that's something new I learnt recently too ??‍♀️

It’s the Nicrew ClassicLed Plus.
I have this light and it's a really great light for the price. Out of the box, it is far too bright and is an algae growing machine. If you get the corresponding dimmer, you can dim the light. I've found that 50% brightness or so is the right number. Algae is no longer a problem either.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back