Algae removing super plant

Jennet22 80

Fish Crazy
Supporting Member ⭐
Joined
Jul 20, 2026
Messages
309
Reaction score
427
Points
63
Location
Stourbridge, UK
I have been googling following reading something on here that I do not know about and came across this:

If you want this plant to become a problem-solving powerhouse, you can’t just toss it in and hope for the best. Success with Leopard Vals is about optimizing their biological processes, not just “keeping them green.”
Link: https://xplants.uk/2026/04/19/a-dee...s-old-school-plant-is-secretly-a-super-plant/

It seems to make sense to me, but I do not have enough knowledge to say if this a good thing or not, so have copied another section over here to see what people think:

This process is fascinating for two reasons:

  1. Water Hardness Management: This action actively uses up the bicarbonates in your water. If your tank has consistently high GH and kH (which Leopard Vals are happy with), a dense population of Vals can actually work to gradually soften the water by consuming those hardiness minerals, making the parameters slightly less extreme over time.
  2. Visual Proof of Function: The resulting hydroxyl ions then combine with calcium in the water to form calcium carbonate. This creates a visible, fine white, crusty coating on the older leaves. Many hobbyists think this is “algae,” but it’s actually the plant’s biological signature proving that it is aggressively processing carbon!
 
It's an interesting read that I lack the knowledge of plants to comment on. The article's poorly written, as it jumps between saying what Vallisneria does, and what V. spiralis leopard does. What's the effect of the many other Valls in the hobby? The article gets very vague.

I throw away a pound or more of Vallisneria americana on a regular basis, as it grows like mad here. Years ago, I grabbed a few pieces as it floated by the kayak, and have religiously kept it out of contact with any local water habitats. Extras go into compost.

Anecdotally, I can say I get two types of "algae" on my Vall americana. One may be a Cyanobacter, as a black clump growth. The other is certainly an algae - a thick spongy one that is easy to remove but tough to eradicate. So I am skeptical.

I'd think the water changes in a tank that has fish (and not just a plant showtank) would mitigate a lot of the mineral removal.
 
Thanks for that. It's as well to be sceptical when we read stuff that does not always quite make sense.
 
In the past year I started keeping Amazon Frogbit aka Limnobium laevigatum. It is a real nitrogen sponge. Tanks where I have had stubborn algae for years suddenly was losing the algae. The only downside is the entire surface of trans become covered with it and this starts to block the light to the plants underneath.

I now bring two bags of frogbit to ever club meeting for the auction and in between and am just throwing a bunch of it into the woods.

My shrimp love chomping on something on the dangling roots of the plants.
 
Thanks, I did have frogbit starting to grow as well as some of the similar red type, but got rid of all the plants (in plastic bag in bin) in order to deal with the snail problem. Will get some more once they have gone.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top