Bristlenose catfish tail rot

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

J4C

Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone suggest treatment for my bristlenose catfish. Tail is rotting. Bristles on face are fine. Other catfish in tank has no issues. Tank is 150L. No other fish in tank (tetras) have any fin issues. Tail has been slowly deteriorating for weeks. I've tried methylene blue dip/bath for 10 secs and the instead gone to pouring it directly onto affected tail part every couple of days without any change. I've cleaned the tank (major clean of gravel and 50% water fortnightly) to try and keep pristine conditions. Again no change to tail. I've noticed snails eating the tail rotting bits when he sits on the gravel, maybe that's why he's taken to higher places of late. Temp sits about 24.5 C, Ph I'll need to do another test but normally around 6.8. Catfish is about 5yo and I've never had any issue with either of them in this time. Photo orders is most recent to least. Damage has continued over 4 weeks. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 655
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    464.2 KB · Views: 601
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 637
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 720
I think you should separate him from the other fish. A 10gal tank or even a 5gal bucket would work. Make sure you have a heater and air stone in there. You should treat with an antifungal, something like tetra fungus guard as it also treats for bacterial infections.

I have to say, that looks very bad. Something that can also help is methylene blue baths. Adding 8-10 drops to a gallon bucket and having him sit in there for a half hour every day might work wonders. When I have to quarantine and do baths for fish, I like to change all their water in their quarantine container while they sit in the baths. It is important to do daily water changes.

Looking at that fish I think its time to do the humane thing and put it out of its misery.

I think you should separate him from the other fish. A 10gal tank or even a 5gal bucket would work. Make sure you have a heater and air stone in there. You should treat with an antifungal, something like tetra fungus guard as it also treats for bacterial infections.

I have to say, that looks very bad. Something that can also help is methylene blue baths. Adding 8-10 drops to a gallon bucket and having him sit in there for a half hour every day might work wonders. When I have to quarantine and do baths for fish, I like to change all their water in their quarantine container while they sit in the baths. It is important to do daily water changes.

Thanks for that advice. I've tried methylene blue without success. Another forum recommended kanamycin. I've kanaplex so was going to give that a go tomorrow in a quarantine situation. Just need to find a tank to set up and use as we're coming out of winter with 6 degrees tonight so I need something I can put a heater in and not worry about it whilst I'm at work. 3 cats as well so I need a room I can safely isolate in.

Anyone have experience with kanamycin and bristlenose?

Hi

Its tail is gone and the infection or what ever it is has started to affect the body, There is no medication that will help that fish heal.

Oh wow I just noticed that the last picture seems to be the most recent one. I was looking at the first two pictures where you could still see the rays and a bit of tail.

Unfortunately, once fin rot becomes body rot there isn't much that can be done. The flesh of his tail is quite clearly compromised and won't every heal normally, if at all. The rays are all crooked and likely dead. I must agree with Nick, that poor guy probably won't make it.

sorry. more understandable version would be to hope and pray and do what you deem best.

Thanks all for your advice. After 1 day in the quarantine tank and treating with kanamycin he sadly died. Broke my heart as I'd had him and 1 other bristlenose for about 5 - 6 issues and through 3 other tanks and never an issue. I should have jumped on this sooner and sought advice, but it progressed so quickly it caught me off guard. And because they hide during the day catching sight of him regularly enough meant it escalated quickly. Other bristlenose not showing any signs but hiding more than normal and not eating as regularly so I'm keeping watch. Running nitra-zorb in cannister filter, so will take water to LFS to test again this coming weekend and continuing with weekly 50% water changes.

Hi

Sorry to hear about your fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back