Breeding rack

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Thing is i have 2 more tanks on the rack i can set up so i could always put the puffers in one of those if i need to or i can move the apistos to my community tank.
Speaking of other tanks, what have you done with them? Are they aquascaped and are sitting away from the public view or are they unfinished?

Speaking of other tanks, what have you done with them? Are they aquascaped and are sitting away from the public view or are they unfinished?
I haven't even started them!

I've just started another walstad jar for my daughter so i've put the other 2 tanks on the back burner for now.

I will get to them at some stage haha

Wow, looking good! Don't you just love the round lava rocks? They are gorgeous plus they add more room for BB to grow.

Went to the fish shop today to try to find some apisto cacutuoides super reds but they only had the albino variety so I skipped them and got a pair of agassizi double reds instead!

Here's the male.
20210711_122248.jpg

And the female
20210712_220033.jpg

Male grabbed a snail soon as he got in the tank which I was pretty happy about haha hopefully they will control the baby ramshorn population.
20210711_122306.jpg

I also added some more red cherry shrimps but I made sure they were bigger ones so they don't get eaten....at least not straight away lol

Attachments

• 20210711_125112.jpg
    20210711_125112.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Went to the fish shop today to try to find some apisto cacutuoides super reds but they only had the albino variety so I skipped them and got a pair of agassizi super reds instead!

Here's the male.
View attachment 139690
And the female
View attachment 139691
Male grabbed a snail soon as he got in the tank which I was pretty happy about haha hopefully they will control the baby ramshorn population.
View attachment 139692
I also added some more red cherry shrimp but I made sure they were bigger ones so they don't get eaten....at least not straight away lol
Wow very nice! Do you still plan on breeding pea puffers if they become available? iirc you have 2 undone tanks below the main one. (also are againssizi like apistogrammas as in dwarf cichlids?)

Wow very nice! Do you still plan on breeding pea puffers if they become available? iirc you have 2 undone tanks below the main one. (also are againssizi like apistogrammas as in dwarf cichlids?)
If I manage to find some I definitely will have a go at breeding them. For now the Apistos will keep me busy! Pretty sure all Apistos are dwarf cichlids.

So i managed to find some pea puffers! Got 5 on the way woohooo!!

Not sure what to do with the apistos now....do i sell them, set up a new tank for them or put them in my 22gal community tank??

So i managed to find some pea puffers! Got 5 on the way woohooo!!

Not sure what to do with the apistos now....do i sell them, set up a new tank for them or put them in my 22gal community tank??
Honestly I think you should keep them there, because you have 3 of the same tank correct? Then you just use 2 for pea puffers and then keep them in the current one.

Or you could just make another tank. Your current one is really nice though.

EDIT: Also aren't puffers brackish?

Honestly I think you should keep them there, because you have 3 of the same tank correct? Then you just use 2 for pea puffers and then keep them in the current one.

Or you could just make another tank. Your current one is really nice though.

EDIT: Also aren't puffers brackish?

pea puffers are freshwater species.

I could set up another tank and use some media from my main tank filter to instant cycle but i've got the puffers on their way already so i'd have to do it pretty quickly!

I might put the apistos in the community tank for now and then set up one of the spare tanks for them.

Thinking i may set up one of the spare tanks as a blackwater tank and just have the apistos in there on their own. I've never done a blackwater tank before but from what i've read indian almond leaves will help get the water tannined up?

Put a base layer down and threw a couple of pieces of driftwood and rocks together and this is what I came up with. I'd put a layer of sand on top, some epiphite plants on the wood. This would be a blackwater tank so there would be leaves and sticks littering the ground too.
20210713_205753.jpg
20210713_205744.jpg
20210713_205730.jpg

I'm thinking I might put a black cardboard in between the tanks to give it a bit more of a darker look. Complete contrast to my other tank which is bright and colourful.

Attachments

• 20210713_193431.jpg
    20210713_193431.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210713_193439.jpg
    20210713_193439.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Would old dead dried up BBA come back to life if I leave it on this piece of wood? 🤔

20210713_211501.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Back