Breeding Mollies

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Cloudeia

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have a male/female pair of mollies in my tank, and I'm curious as to how easily they breed. Do they need a breeding process or will they breed on their own? Are there any telltale signs to look out for that shows they'll spawn soon? Also, if they do breed on their own, how will i remove the fry without damaging them, so they don't get eaten by the other fish?

PLEASE, do not put the mother in the frybox. Causes more harm than good, if you want high survival rate put many live plants including floating plants. They will breed on their own as long as you have a male and female.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should have at least 2 females for every male, live-bearers are randy little buggers and the male can harass a female to death. Instead of fry nets and breeder boxes add a bunch of live plants to give the fry something to hide in.

Now for the BIG question.

What are you going to do with all the fry?
A single female Mollie can give birth to about 30 to 100 fry every month or so and the fry become sexually mature at about 3 months old, So starting with 1 pregnant female in 6 months you can have around 500 plus fish under optimum conditions.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back