Blue Lobsters and Puffer Fish tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.

EFCLad

Reaction score
Hi all, First off the wife is getting a Blue lobster to keep in a tank - always wanted one so nows the time :D Anyways does anyone know what fish you can keep in a Lobster tank I am guessing no bottom feeders but what ones can you keep with it.

Also I am starting a tank mostly just for puffers soon can anyone tell me of any good fish (non-puffers) that I can put with them that wont get hurt by the puffers and stand up to them when needed! Thanking you :D

Depends what puffer. ihey're freshwater, then bristle nose plec, if not: nothing. Except PERHAPS bumblebee gobies, depending on the species.

What size tank is it?

Please note: I have not mntioned freshwater bumblebee gobies because they are hard to find.

It will be a 4ft-5ft tank and they will be tropical fish in there with them if any.

Blue lobsters should not be kept with anything, at some point they will catch and eat any fish they are kept with.

do puffers "puff" up all the time? what makes them "puff" up

No, they do ot puff all the time, and it is not advisable. I have never seen mine puff, as they only do this if they have an attitude problem (usually when they haven't been fed on time) or under great stress.

I personally would not go for puffers, you would not, realistically be able to keep them with
1) the lobster
2) other fish

some are also brackish and they need special care etc. Out of interest, what kind were you thinking of?

not not advisable to put some in with some cichlids then? :lol:

cuba408 said:
not not advisable to put some in with some cichlids then? :lol:
Lobsters or puffers?

although either of them is a 'no'

A friend of mine tried lobsters in his huge malawi setup.
First the lobster lost his antenna until the lobster learnt to stay out of the way of the cichlids.

There was peace for a couple of months...

Then the lobster grew big enough to catch and eat the cichlids.
He killed 15 fish overnight.

Lobbbie now has a home of his own.

wow i never knew that lobsters were like that. how big are your lobsters and how big were the cichlids

FYI: blue lobsters will eventually hit 12" in length. anything that's safe from a foot-long crustacean will probably try to eat it.

except maybe a black pacu or a tinfoil barb. ('cause they get gi-normous.)

When you get the lobster be sure the top of the tank is completely sealed, we just had a 4 inch lobster escape through a 1/2 inch opening where the airline and heater cord go thru the canopy....found hin 3 days later on the other side of the basement :crazy:

i was about to buy a puffer today, but then the guy at the lfs told me, that they will ocasionally, kill/ take down other fish in the tank. that is the first time i was glad some one told me not to do. :nod:

oppositearmor said:
i was about to buy a puffer today, but then the guy at the lfs told me, that they will ocasionally, kill/ take down other fish in the tank. that is the first time i was glad some one told me not to do. :nod:
aaaaand this is why we research our fish BEFORE we buy them. :nod: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back