Betta tank ideas

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Quin

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I just got done watching this video and it's definitely shown me which direction I need to take my tank in.

I think it would be super cool to replace my colorful gravel with substrate like sand, neutral or maybe darker colored because the vid said that lighter colors promote algae growth. My LPS doesn't sell any but I know one of my threads has a recommendation for some play sand cheap.

My LPS also doesn't sell any floating plants and the nearest nursery is in the next state over, but his tank looks so bare with only 3 mossballs and 1 leafy plant. I'm after Salviria and maybe duckweed, but if bettas have any favored plants I'm definitely open to suggestions

If I do change the substrate up, is it recommended to do it before or after its officially cycled, and should the fish be moved during the process? If you know Hank you know he's recovering from being more than a little green around the gills, so how long should I wait before doing some major changes?

Bettas like densely planted tanks for sure and they like when a leaf is near the surface as they like hanging or sleeping out there.

Bettas like densely planted tanks for sure and they like when a leaf is near the surface as they like hanging or sleeping out there.
I saw a fake but sturdy leaf that suctions to the side of the tank, and I can't stop thinking about it ever since I saw Hank resting behind his heater. Are those recommended?

Salvinia is a great plant. I have it BUT if you choose a floating plant, your lower level plants must be low light options or else the floaters will block out their light.

Moss balls, java ferns, java moss, hornwort, crypts, anubias are all good and can handle the temps that bettas need too.

A thin layer of leaf litter with indian almond leaves is greatly appreciated by bettas too, as naturally they do occur in water stained with tannins.

Salvinia is a great plant. I have it BUT if you choose a floating plant, your lower level plants must be low light options or else the floaters will block out their light.

Moss balls, java ferns, java moss, hornwort, crypts, anubias are all good and can handle the temps that bettas need too.

A thin layer of leaf litter with indian almond leaves is greatly appreciated by bettas too, as naturally they do occur in water stained with tannins.
Those are awesome recoms, thank you!

I saw a fake but sturdy leaf that suctions to the side of the tank, and I can't stop thinking about it ever since I saw Hank resting behind his heater. Are those recommended?
Yes, they are recommended but only if you want to, so I would say they are optional.

Plants are not required for a Betta tank. You can use wood, leaf litters, or any other botanicals to create a biotope aquarium.

You can do something like this:

Last edited:
I agree, Salvinia is a GREAT plant. You can see it here in my 10g betta tank:
image.jpg

You can use play sand as a substrate. I have this also in my betta tank. It’s cheap, safe, and looks great/natural. :)

Whoa, this is all awesome! I've been continuing to watch videos on other tanks and some of them can look so cool! I really want to find some nice looking wood to fit in, and a lot of those plants look so lush and green, I bet Hank would love them

Now that I have a better idea of what I want to do, here is the important question. Will my fish be okay to wait until after quarantine to start replacing his substrate? He will be going more and more towards the natural look over time as my budget replenishes, but I'm worried about how many trips outside I've been making for him. Will he be okay to wait a little bit?

Will my fish be okay to wait until after quarantine to start replacing his substrate? He will be going more and more towards the natural look over time as my budget replenishes, but I'm worried about how many trips outside I've been making for him. Will he be okay to wait a little bit?
He'll be fine.

Will my fish be okay to wait until after quarantine to start replacing his substrate? He will be going more and more towards the natural look over time as my budget replenishes, but I'm worried about how many trips outside I've been making for him. Will he be okay to wait a little bit?
Yes, we will be ok to wait. I bet I wanted ay least 5 months before I got my 10g setup to were I wanted it. Patience is the key. :)

I just got done watching this video and it's definitely shown me which direction I need to take my tank in.

I think it would be super cool to replace my colorful gravel with substrate like sand, neutral or maybe darker colored because the vid said that lighter colors promote algae growth. My LPS doesn't sell any but I know one of my threads has a recommendation for some play sand cheap.

My LPS also doesn't sell any floating plants and the nearest nursery is in the next state over, but his tank looks so bare with only 3 mossballs and 1 leafy plant. I'm after Salviria and maybe duckweed, but if bettas have any favored plants I'm definitely open to suggestions

If I do change the substrate up, is it recommended to do it before or after its officially cycled, and should the fish be moved during the process? If you know Hank you know he's recovering from being more than a little green around the gills, so how long should I wait before doing some major changes?
I wouldn’t do anything to stress Hank for a month or more. He’s still fragile. Make some plans and take notes while you’re waiting. :)

I wouldn’t do anything to stress Hank for a month or more. He’s still fragile. Make some plans and take notes while you’re waiting. :)
Taking notes now so I don't forget lol.

There was this one plant that I absolutely loved, and would really like in my betta tank. I believe the name started with A and it was larger, with broad leaves perfect for a betta to rest on. A subspecies might be called nano?

Also, while I've got you guys here I'm nervous about this water change. Hank is due for one (I read one forum and now I'm absolutely terrified of dropsy) but now I can't get it out of my head that he got so sick because I was doing them wrong. Is it okay to dechlorinate after the water has been added? Additionally, my current water change tool is a maybe 2 gallon trash can. Will it put him back into shock to do the 3-5 trips it takes, both for removal and addition? I can siphon water out with my new gravel vac if that would help

Taking notes now so I don't forget lol.

There was this one plant that I absolutely loved, and would really like in my betta tank. I believe the name started with A and it was larger, with broad leaves perfect for a betta to rest on. A subspecies might be called nano?

Also, while I've got you guys here I'm nervous about this water change. Hank is due for one (I read one forum and now I'm absolutely terrified of dropsy) but now I can't get it out of my head that he got so sick because I was doing them wrong. Is it okay to dechlorinate after the water has been added? Additionally, my current water change tool is a maybe 2 gallon trash can. Will it put him back into shock to do the 3-5 trips it takes, both for removal and addition? I can siphon water out with my new gravel vac if that would help
Anubias heterophylla? I got it in my betta tank and Candy loves resting on it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back