Betta Tank ideas?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AfternoonNarwhale

Reaction score
What would be a safe tank mate for bettas? I don't want to take any chances but would like to have tankmates...

What would be a safe tank mate for bettas? I don't want to take any chances but would like to have tankmates...

No fish are suited, if this is a male Betta which I assume it is. Bettas are not community fish. I think I just dealt with this in your other thread, so won't repeat.

No way!!! You could do a few tetras such as albino tetras or cherry barbs.

Good luck!!!

I agree with Byron. Bettas are not community fish and should be alone. Snails could be companions but that’s about it.

Cherry Barbs are know for their aggressiveness.(IMO) A better suited companion would be a group of harlequin rasbora (Trigonostigma heteromorpha). They only grow up to 1.5 inches, and are very peaceful. @Fishmanic , I know you have a betta/Harequin Rasbora tank, how is that working out for you? :)

It depends on the size of the tank. Most of the fish being suggested should not be kept in tanks as small as 10 gallons, for example.

I do concur with @essjay. Most of the species labeled above, should be suitable to house with a betta fish, but not in a 10 gallon. Maybe in a 20 gallon long tank. That would work. ;) (PetCo is having a $ per gallon sale right now, that means you can get a 20 gallon long tank for just 20$. It really is a killer deal!) :)

My 5 harleys, one neon and my betta seem to get along fine in my 10 gallon. But you would need to be able to separate them if by chance it doesnt work out.

I agree. You should always have a backup plan, Incase disaster strikes! (Sounds worse than it is.....) :p

I have a 30gallon tank with a male betta, 4 bronze corys, and a plecko. They all live very comfortably together. The betta hangs around the top of the tank 80% of the time, and occasionally ventures down lower; the corys and plecko hang around the bottom and basically stay out of his way. Seems to work.

Cherry Barbs are know for their aggressiveness.(IMO) A better suited companion would be a group of harlequin rasbora (Trigonostigma heteromorpha). They only grow up to 1.5 inches, and are very peaceful. @Fishmanic , I know you have a betta/Harequin Rasbora tank, how is that working out for you? :)
Cherry Barbs are actually a very peaceful fish. I have them in my community tank and love them.

Sorry, It was tiger barbs that are aggressive, my bad!! :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back