Betta tank stocking

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AfternoonNarwhale

Reaction score
Would a betta (Male or female) be OK in an tank with 2-4 cherry shrimp and 6 neon tetras in a planted tank? 10 or 20 gal, what would You say?

Hello, and welcome to the forum! :hi:

It depends on the temperament of the betta fish. Neon tetras are not really recommend to live with betta fish, because they are known to be fin nippers. :)

You could keep a male betta fish in a 10 gallon, with maybe 4-5 cherry shrimp, and some snails? Like I said above ^ it depends on the temperament of the betta. :) (IMO, betta Like Dumbo Ear
Bettas, are less likely to be aggressive.) :)

(Please consider entering the August TOTM contest, by clicking the banner at the top of your screen, Thanks!) :thanks:

Definitely depends on the Betta, the very short lived male Betta I had went through the tanks population of shrimp very quickly. There were over 30 adult cherry shrimp and a lot more babies when he went in. He unfortunately died after 2 days but there are now definitely less than 20 adults and virtually no babies left.

Would a betta (Male or female) be OK in an tank with 2-4 cherry shrimp and 6 neon tetras in a planted tank? 10 or 20 gal, what would You say?

The answer is "no" to other fish. Male bettas are not community fish, and it is frankly cruel to subject them to this. There are two sides to this. The Betta may be annoyed by the other fish...and neon tetra is a known problem for Bettas, I had one many years ago that easily ate neons; some say it is the colour that inflames the Betta, but this can occur with any other fish. The other issue is the other fish...the sedate flowing fins of a Betta can for the other fish be comparable to waving a red flag in front of a bull.

It is wisest to understand the inherent behaviours and traits of a fish and assume they will be evident if the fish is normal. So be kind to your Betta and give him a nice tank to himself, and he will be happy and thus healthier. A 10g or even a 5 gallon is suited to a Betta. The shrimp are not an issue, unless the Betta eats them!

Neon tetra should have larger tanks than this anyway, but that is another topic. :fish:

And, welcome to TFF. :hi:

Like everyone else has said, male bettas are best kept alone. You could try shrimp but he miht eat them. The safest tank mate would probably be a snail. Nerite snails are great because they stay small and eat lots of algae.

Definitely depends on the Betta, the very short lived male Betta I had went through the tanks population of shrimp very quickly. There were over 30 adult cherry shrimp and a lot more babies when he went in. He unfortunately died after 2 days but there are now definitely less than 20 adults and virtually no babies left.
The betta probably died from overeating the shrimp.

@Byron, a betta fish can be a community fish, it just depends on the temperature of that betta. Bettas actually do better with shrimp, than they do with other fish. (IMO) ;)

The betta probably died from overeating the shrimp.

The only information I can find on overeating and death in fish relates to the owner feeding too much and the left over food rotting then causing problems over a longer period of time so I'd be interested in more information on this.

I think the betta would see the neon as a threat to his territory but maybe otos and corys are not, being that they are bottom dwellers whereas the betta uses the space at the top?

The only information I can find on overeating and death in fish relates to the owner feeding too much and the left over food rotting then causing problems over a longer period of time so I'd be interested in more information on this.
Both bloat and swim bladder disease can be results of overfeeding.

Uneaten food in an aquarium produces ammonia, which will poison the fish.

Poor quality or rotten food will cause intestinal problems (bloating, dropsy) to fish. The same as it does in people.

Swim bladder problems are mostly seen in fish that have been inbred.

-------------------------
If fish are fed a lot of food and they eat it all, they can become fat. This is not normally an issue if they are only fat for a short period of time. However, if they are constantly fat then they are more likely to have health issues associated with being over weight. Even then, fish store fat differently to people and other mammals and are unlikely to die from eating too much.

Uneaten food in an aquarium produces ammonia, which will poison the fish.

Poor quality or rotten food will cause intestinal problems (bloating, dropsy) to fish. The same as it does in people.

Swim bladder problems are mostly seen in fish that have been inbred.

-------------------------
If fish are fed a lot of food and they eat it all, they can become fat. This is not normally an issue if they are only fat for a short period of time. However, if they are constantly fat then they are more likely to have health issues associated with being over weight. Even then, fish store fat differently to people and other mammals and are unlikely to die from eating too much.
Agree. I failed to mention that a lot depends on type of food eaten too. Glad Colin pointed that out. Dry food will expand in the fishes stomach and problems can occur.

Hello, and welcome to the forum! :hi:

It depends on the temperament of the betta fish. Neon tetras are not really recommend to live with betta fish, because they are known to be fin nippers. :)

You could keep a male betta fish in a 10 gallon, with maybe 4-5 cherry shrimp, and some snails? Like I said above ^ it depends on the temperament of the betta. :) (IMO, betta Like Dumbo Ear
Bettas, are less likely to be aggressive.) :)

(Please consider entering the August TOTM contest, by clicking the banner at the top of your screen, Thanks!) :thanks:

@Byron, a betta fish can be a community fish, it just depends on the temperature of that betta. Bettas actually do better with shrimp, than they do with other fish. (IMO) ;)

Both statements are incorrect. Neon tetras are beautiful fish and are not Jeffrey Dahmers to nip fins.

Shrimps around a betta leads to a Jeffrey Dahmer Betta.

Both statements are incorrect. Neon tetras are beautiful fish and are not Jeffrey Dahmers to nip fins.

No offence @Moony42, but I have heard of them nipping fins before, and a betta's fins can be very tempting. Also, a betta could get stressed by the other fish, or he could get agressive towards them which, in turn, would stress out the tetras. I'm not saying it never works, but the risk is just not worth it.

No offence @Moony42, but I have heard of them nipping fins before, and a betta's fins can be very tempting. Also, a betta could get stressed by the other fish, or he could get agressive towards them which, in turn, would stress out the tetras. I'm not saying it never works, but the risk is just not worth it.

This is correct. Environment plays a significant role in fish behaviour. "Environment" means everything within the aquarium, from water parameters (suited to the species), numbers of a shoaling species, other species, the aquascape (fish need suitable surroundings), and obviously tank space including both physical dimensions and water volume. All of these affect fish, and if any of these are not what the fish "expects" it will cause stress and that sets off the chain.

Observant aquarists can see some of the effects, sometimes, but there is much going on that is invisible to us, at least up to the point where the issue causes the fish to alter its behaviours. Knowing the needs of the species and providing them can avoid trouble down the road, and not forcing the fish into a situation that risks this is key. Assume normal behaviour for a fish, rather than putting the fish at risk for abnormal just to suit one's wants.

Neon tetras, normally a peaceful fish, have been known to become fin nippers due to the environment forced upon them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back