What's new
Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ Click here to enter! šŸ°

Duke_Silver

Reaction score
Morning Folks!

Over the past few weeks, Iā€™ve been flirting with the idea of turning my fluval flex 15 tank into a betta sorority.

Currently I only have one betta smaragdina female in the planted black water tank.

Here are my concerns, Iā€™m not entirely sure what stocking rate would be suitable for the flex 15, I feel as though you have to treat this tank as though itā€™s a 10 gallon tank due to so much of the tank space taken up with the filter area.

My other concern is in regards to mixing different betta species (e.g. my wild betta smar, and the more common betta splendens that you find in the LFS). Has anyone mixed different betta species in a sorority?

Lastly, somewhat related to stocking rates, I seem to find inconsistent numbers regarding whatā€™s an appropriate amount of betta ladies to keep a peaceful community. Depending on where I search, I find some people saying 3 minimum, others saying 6.

If none of this is really recommended, I have a 5g thatā€™s currently cycling that I might just put her in once ready, and turn the 15 into a puffer tank!

Cheers!

Morning Folks!

Over the past few weeks, Iā€™ve been flirting with the idea of turning my fluval flex 15 tank into a betta sorority.

Currently I only have one betta smaragdina female in the planted black water tank.

Here are my concerns, Iā€™m not entirely sure what stocking rate would be suitable for the flex 15, I feel as though you have to treat this tank as though itā€™s a 10 gallon tank due to so much of the tank space taken up with the filter area.

My other concern is in regards to mixing different betta species (e.g. my wild betta smar, and the more common betta splendens that you find in the LFS). Has anyone mixed different betta species in a sorority?

Lastly, somewhat related to stocking rates, I seem to find inconsistent numbers regarding whatā€™s an appropriate amount of betta ladies to keep a peaceful community. Depending on where I search, I find some people saying 3 minimum, others saying 6.

If none of this is really recommended, I have a 5g thatā€™s currently cycling that I might just put her in once ready, and turn the 15 into a puffer tank!

Cheers!
Hi and welcome to the forum :hi:

Most of us here like to know the GH of your water supply before recommending suitability. This information can be found by your local water supplier.

Alternatively, if you have a water testing kit you can test the GH yourself from home.

Bettas usually prefer softer water with a PH below 6.5.

Best of luck!

Hi Guppy,

Thanks for the response, I have fairly soft water at my house with a TDS of 0 that I test when doing water changes.

The pH in my tank on average is 6.7 and my DH sits around 10. Temp is kept at 78Ā°F

I use botanicals such as Indian almond leaves, alder cones, etc... as well as Malaysian driftwood, and spider wood. The tank is also well established with plants such as java ferns, crypts, Amazon sword, java moss and Amazon frogbit.

Hope this helps

Hi Guppy,

Thanks for the response, I have fairly soft water at my house with a TDS of 0 that I test when doing water changes.

The pH in my tank on average is 6.7 and my DH sits around 10. Temp is kept at 78Ā°F

I use botanicals such as Indian almond leaves, alder cones, etc... as well as Malaysian driftwood, and spider wood. The tank is also well established with plants such as java ferns, crypts, Amazon sword, java moss and Amazon frogbit.

Hope this helps
From the details you provide, I would say your water is ok for a Betta.

Could you please provide measurements of your tank? I would personally say a 15g isnā€™t big enough for a Betta sorority. Unfortunately they can be quite nippy and territorial. You would need a heavy planted tank.

However I could be wrong, maybe other members with more experience can assist further.

Iā€™m glad youā€™ve been testing your water, this is key to keeping healthy fish.

Best of luck.

#BETTASRULE
YOU HAVE A GOOD IDEA. HOWEVER I SUGGEST THAT YOU USE A LOT OF HIDING PLACES.I ALSO SUGGEST THAT YOU KEEP A BACKUP TANK IN CASE YOUR BETTAS
GET HURT.

Hi! I had a female sorority and can tell you 4 things:
1.). Donā€™t do it.
2.). You need at least a 20G tank to do it.
3.). It is cruel to do it. I use to fight this comment. I told everyone how great the tank was as. I learned the hard way that it isnā€™t right to do so. My tank was going well and then, all of a sudden, all of my females acquired a horrible disease and died due to stress. It was terrible to watch. I had the tank for quite some time and had everything right. Plenty of caves, plants, hiding spots. Itā€™s just cruel to the fish. Otherā€™s will argue just as I use to but the fish suffer in the end.
4.). DONā€™T do it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back