The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

betta4ever!

Fish Addict
Pet of the Month 🎖️
2x Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Would tis work out for my 20 gallon? A pair of Simplex and 6-8 pygmy corys? @Crispii

Mouth brooding Bettas can grow to 4 inches long and whilst not active swimmers, they need a tank that is at least 2 foot long and preferably longer.

They aren't aggressive and should be ok with small Corydoras.

Betta simplex usually only grow to 2.5 inches, and most people say that 5 gallons is enough for a pair. My tank is a few cm longer than 2 foot. What I'm worrying about is them trying to eat the corys...

I'd flip your question around. B. simplex is a quiet fish, and a peaceful one. It's apt to be very annoyed and stressed by active pygmy Corys. They'd probably adjust in a tank the size of yours though. They wouldn't eat the Corys, but the behaviour differences might make them hate them.

I'm so glad to know. No corys then. Any other tank mate you recommend?

With simplex, you have a fish a fish that's on the IUCN red list as critically endangered.
If I got some again (I had them 20 years ago) I would do everything I could to breed and distribute them among other interested hobbyists. That would mean a single species tank.
I tried to get info on the fish found with them in their habitat, but all I could get was info on a vast province.

I would consider the old Rasbora group for a community. T. espei is around a lot in stores here. You might even be able to get away with Bororas - they are common in good stores and I never saw any predatory behaviour from simplex.

Oh well , I'll keep them alone then. Was thinking of the corys as clean up crew/ a bit of movement in the tank, but will probably just get a nerite or two. Thanks so much for all your help . If you have any tips on keeping Simplex, I'd love to know:)

Get a group of them so if one dies, you still have males and females.

Have lots of plants and caves.

Feed them a varied diet.

Learn how to hatch brineshrimp eggs so you can feed the babies when they start swimming around.

Can't get a group since I can't spend a fortune. Maybe a trio, depending on the price my lfs will sell them for.

I'll sure have a lot of plants. I always do.

I've six different frozen foods, live bs and live mosquito larvae, so I think those will be good?

Oh that should not be a problem. I always have a bbs hatchery going, to feed my ram fry. And even when I don't have fry, I use them to feed the adults.

If you have any tips on keeping Simplex, I'd love to know:)
Keep them in hard, alkaline water. They prefer water conditions with a pH of 7.0-8.0 and a hardness of 54-215 ppm. While they can adapt to soft and acidic water, they display better when kept in hard, alkaline water.

Crispii do you currently keep any Simplex? And what tank size would you recommend? (Will use the 20 just want to know what you think) Are they easy to breed? And what's the difference between type 1 and type 2?

Crispii do you currently keep any Simplex? And what tank size would you recommend? (Will use the 20 just want to know what you think) Are they easy to breed? And what's the difference between type 1 and type 2?
Unfortunately, no. They're an extremely difficult species to find. I never found anyone who offers B. simplex for sale at my country. Though I do wish to keep type 2.

You can keep a pair in a 10 gallon, though a 20 gallon tank will be fine for the species.

Since I never kept this species, I can't give a definite answer. However, with all fish, if you give them the ideal water condition and feed them live or frozen food, they will breed for you. The biggest problem with mouthbrooding Bettas is a male swallowing/eating his brood.

The difference type 1 and type 2 is the marking on the fins. Type 2 B. simplex will having markings or striations on their caudal and dorsal fins whereas the markings are absent on a type 1.

download (65).jpg

Type 1 is on the left and type 2 is on the right. Notice the markings on the fins of type 2 compared to type 1.

simplexT1.jpg

Thanks for all the info!! Really appreciate it ☺️ For some reason I was sure you had kept them. Anyways, I really hope that you will be able to find them 😉

Thanks for all the info!! Really appreciate it ☺️ For some reason I was sure you had kept them. Anyways, I really hope that you will be able to find them 😉
I do wish I kept Betta simplex. In fact, I actually got ripped of from my LFS when they claim that they had B. simplex. This was back when I was new to wild Bettas. Once I got my so-called B. simplex, I started researching about them and it turns out the fish was actually B. imbellis. I was not mad or anything as I do find imbellis to be a neat looking fish. Nowadays, I'm only keeping one species (Betta channoides) and not as many species as I used to. This mainly because I've lost interest in maintaining and breeding wild Bettas.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back