Beginners Advice

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

That's extremely helpful thank you! Looks like my water hardness is around 200ppm. I've just ordered some test strips to make sure I've got an accurate reading. I'd read you can soften the water with different things like driftwood or peat.

I've been struggling to find a reliable website for information on fish, every website or person I speak to seems to say different things!
You can soften water with RO (reverse osmosis) water as well. (But letā€™s try to peg your water hardness readings before moving on. ;))

That's extremely helpful thank you! Looks like my water hardness is around 200ppm. I've just ordered some test strips to make sure I've got an accurate reading. I'd read you can soften the water with different things like driftwood or peat.

I've been struggling to find a reliable website for information on fish, every website or person I speak to seems to say different things!
Welcome. Itā€™s good to see youā€™re researching before buying.

You can trust what you read on seriouslyfish.com about your potential fish more than anything you hear from the workers in your LFS. Its all science backed stuff on there and not YouTube guesswork and speculation.

Rather than mess around with your water hardness id work with what youā€™ve got.
Thereā€™s amazing and beautiful fish available to suit all water and tank sizes. Mines 340ppm in a 120L and despite being initially discouraged with what I thought were limitations in choice a bit of research soon turned up over 30 species suitable for a smallish tank.
Theres numerous species out there with your name on them that are suited to your water. Just ask and this lot will help with suggestions.
Have fun.

Last edited:
I agree with ClownLurch - it is easier to keep fish which has your hardness in their hardness range than to change the hardness to suit the fish.
It is much easier to just use tap water at a water chnage rather than mess around making sure whatever additives are used are in the water at the right amount before putting it in the tank.

I agree with ClownLurch - it is easier to keep fish which has your hardness in their hardness range than to change the hardness to suit the fish.
It is much easier to just use tap water at a water chnage rather than mess around making sure whatever additives are used are in the water at the right amount before putting it in the tank.
I bought a RO water thingy from eBay when a discount was on last summer. Itā€™s not even been unwrapped. It looks a right carry on to use.I now think Iā€™d only use it for a small species tank with different water though as Iā€™ve now six species tanks Iā€™d like that suit my water itā€™ll probably go on eBay soon.

Welcome. Itā€™s good to see youā€™re researching before buying.

You can trust what you read on seriouslyfish.com about your potential fish more than anything you hear from the workers in your LFS. Its all science backed stuff on there and not YouTube guesswork and speculation.

Rather than mess around with your water hardness id work with what youā€™ve got.
Thereā€™s amazing and beautiful fish available to suit all water and tank sizes. Mines 340ppm in a 120L and despite being initially discouraged with what I thought were limitations in choice a bit of research soon turned up over 30 species suitable for a smallish tank.
Theres numerous species out there with your name on them that are suited to your water. Just ask and this lot will help with suggestions.
Have fun.
Thatā€™s great thanks so much. My test kit arrived today so Iā€™ll get that done and come back for some more advice on what fish would be suitable!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back