Bad Betta

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

-L-O-T-T-E-

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys last week i noticed that my brisslenose catfish had bad fins, I took him out and popped him into my spare tank incase he was ill... anyway I popped him back into the tank yest... what a bad idea, as I realised that he wasn't ill!! It was my betta Rufus that was attacking him :(

As a result I have taken my betta Rufus out of his nice big tank and popped him into my spare 7 litre one. It has a filter and I am looking into buying him a heater (but at the mo the temp is fine). However will he be ok in this tank??... I know it's not ideal, but he has been bad and I have just paid out for the other tank for him :(

I am really sad as my other tank looks rubbish now.... but I can't have him doing that.

Any help would be great :)

That really is small for him, the recommended varies but most agree 3-5g minimum. I would be worried that filter and heater take up even more room so the space he has to swim in is even less, also that the water temp will be hard to maintian.

Oh dear... well now I am on a mission to find him a suitable tank that I can afford and cant fit in my studio :(

My betta attacked his Cory tankmate... he now has 1 little snail who he flares at, he is a big bully!!

The cory is now living with 2 others in my 4 mth old bettas tank who thinks he is a cory too, he follows them round sifting the sand!!!

I agree that 7 litres is too small, mine are in 20 litres each.

This is just proof of what we say time n time over.

The ability to put tank mates in with a betta is purely down to the bettas personality.

I agree he needs at least a 3gal tank. 5gal being ideal.
Even without tank mates you can still make a really stunning tank. Lots of plants and perhaps some wood, make yourself a nice little mini scape. :)

Unfortunatly I have the problem of no room now!! I was just about to buy a 20litre tank.... but it is gonna be too heavy for the shelf I was gonna put it on :(

Not looking good *cry*

I'd say return the bristlie then. 30l isn't big enough for one anyway.

What do you mean your catfish is a dwarf?

And I personally wouldn't get that tank....they do a 21l version. What is wrong with that?

Or the Extra Large Tom-Pla Aquarium
Or the Large Critter Keeper

Both of my suggestions are square and probably shallower than the pets at home tanks. Better for planting and better for the fish.

I looked at some like that, I even found this one

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/Domestic-Bird...Ds76aYYKg%3D%3D

but I am struggling to see how I would attach a filter and light etc.

The problem with the 21 litre is that I don't have the room... I am gonna have to put the tank on a shelf that I am unsure of how much weight it can take. This is not an ideal situation, if I hadn't grown so attached to Rufus I would take him back!!

I'm gonna be brutally honest here. If you don't have room for suitable accommodation for the betta then you shouldn't keep it. Simple.
If you choose to keep him in a 14l then that is entirely up to you, and a 14l is 3.6gal which technically is big enough to sustain him for life.
I'm just saying that I don't agree with putting them in less than 5gal. :)

And what is the catfish?
Bristlnose catfish don't have any dwarf species...it needs a bigger tank that a 30l or it may well suffer from stunted growth.

I've just had an idea... but it may be crazy!!!

Instead of having 2 tanks... why don't I see if I can afford to get the 60litre tetra one ands then divide it???

But it may work out 2 expensive, however I could always sell my 60litre to put towards it after??

But where do u get the dividers??

You really need more like an 80l undivided tank for the bristlenose.

As for dividers, ebay or your lfs. Your lfs will probably be quite expensive though.

What would you actually put in the divided tank? I can't see it being any better for your situation.

I feel like a broken record banging my head against a wall. But there is a VERY simple solution. Take the bristlenose back and leave rufus in his 30l. It's perfect for him!
And certainly isn't a waste of space to only have a betta in it!

Most reactions

Back