Baby Shrimps

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Zikofski

Chatroom Moderator
Chatroom Moderator
Reaction score
omg so today i was looking in my tank and i saw the smallest thing move was like What the hell is that on closer look its a baby shrimp omg, so what do i do... i have counted 4 of these little buggers so far how can i keep them alive best i can, tank is filled with algae so i guess they will feed of there? i feed shrimp pellets for the adults once a day sometimes once every 2 days as i do have a lot of algae for them to eat

i did not see any eggs? are shrimp livebarers or eggs? i have no idea haha this is such a shock to me :D yet i am so happy haha

What kind of shrimps are they? Cherry shrimp will be fine eating algae and small bits of food but they might get eaten.

What kind of shrimp are they? Something like cherry shrimp do not really require any extra work. They will find food and eat leftovers.

Here's one of my babies. I have about 17 total right now (babies) and about 20 adults. I don't do anything special for them. They come out as mini versions of the adults and like a baby zebra are ready to run.

If they aren't cherry (or a related species) then it's a different story.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:70176]

ye red cherry shrimp and how many babys may i have then? as i have only found 4 but obviosly they are so small and i presume hiding in my moss and under my make shift cave woried as my bottle "tank" is so small

Cherry shrimp can carry up to 30 eggs. They carry them under the tail and fan them with the swimmerets for about 30 days. I have never been able to find all 30 shrimplets though so I assume that some don't hatch. You could have 20 or more babies in there right now. How big is the bottle? In a ten gallon tank you can keep 100-150. When the shrimp first hatch the babies are all white so look for little white specs that move. Congrats on the babies, I think they are a lot fun to watch.

ye tank is very heavily populated with moss and some wood, it's only 5ltr they are in but overall the water volume is 15ltr's

They breed like crazy. From 4 I now have over 60 in 3 months. They will overpopulate that bottle very quickly.

nice
biggrin.png

cheers for the help guys

Many fish will eat the fry. I have scarlet badis in my tank which does. Since they breed so much and so often, this is actually a benefit to me and keeps the fish very healthy. I generally get 5 that live out of a brood of 20-30 since the fish hunt them down it's only the ones that find a good hiding place or that can escape faster that live. Hopefully that's giving me good stock.

Do you have any plants in the tank besides the  moss.  If so do you use fertilizer and what kind.  I have been very cautious on what kind of fertilizer i want to use and i am still debating it because i have heard that a lot of people have problems with it killing their shrimp.

hmm okay, well yes i have obviously java moss, and some two types of crypts cant remember there types, and i dose liquid co2 from AE, and the IE method of ferts as stated on the calculation website place cheap and works amazing for a 15l tank. altho i am overdosing liquid co2 as its kinda hard to put in 0.1ml of liquid co2 so i generaly chuck in around 1ml no deaths so far i think i get pearling on my moss, bare in mind i am using sunlight to run the tank, oh almost forgot i have anubias this and the moss are growing emersed as well, with my anubias has a bud but not flowered yet :D i can get some pics tomo if you guys like may try and get a pic using my micro camera of the baby shrimp if there still alive

@stanlo my babys are red, not white from what i could see look nearly 2mm in length? again i have no idea when the hatched

At 2mm then they are already a couple of days old. Cherry shrimp, shrimplets tend to shed and grow every 24hrs for the first couple of weeks before settling down and growing at a more sedate rate.
Usually newly hatch shrimplets are white and then start developing red tinge after a couple of days.
If your any good with marco shots, you can photograph your shrimplets and actually see the tiny spots of colour that will eventually spread out to cover their bodies.
Congrats on the shrimplets to by the way.

haha sweet il try thank you, and ye i noticed today a tiny tiny shell haha never seen such a small thing in my life, when i get to ausi i am so getting shrimp haha :D these guys are so cool, i got a wc today and i feel my filter defence part is not up to the chase with baby's using a metal mesh which is great for the shrimp adults but i was not expecting babys i hope i dont have any in my filter :(

okay now im scared, i got a okay picture of the little one :)

but i then noticed BILLIONS maybe trillions of small tiny microscopic things every where in the water on the sides in the filter absolutly every where best picture i could get of them was in my filter 

these cant be baby shrimp i am 100% sure there is just to many, i am not joking when i say billions

oh and this strange thing was wiggling about any idea

and one of the adults :) 

First of all, congrats on the births! :)
Baby shrimps are so cute! :wub:

Where will they go once you move to Australia?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back