Baby Shrimps

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

also what is this, this was stuck to my wood i did think it was an egg, but then its to big, and i found more white specs, so i found the eggs i also counted 8 in total baby shrimp, and a shed load more eggs proably 15 or so on my wood

here is the true shrimp eggs i think

oh and here are the little ones :D

sorry its hard to get a good pic in water they are so small

@ TT i will be giving this stetup away for free when the time comes :D

The eggs on the wood - do you have nerite snails in there with the shrimps? Those eggs look like they are stuck to the wood and look just like the nerite eggs on the wood in my tanks. Cherry shrimps don't lay their eggs, they carry them round under their abdomens.

er no nerite snails but i do have a few zebra snails i was told they do not breed but yet again i bet thats bunk.

Nerites require salt water to breed. They cannot in FW.

Just to clarify, the vast majority of commonly kept nerite snails can not successfully produce young in a standard fresh water tank set up. They will breed and lay eggs but the larval stages of the newly hatched snails almost always need brackish if not full salt water and a pretty exacting diet.

I say the vast majority of commonly kept nerite snails because in Australia it looks like we might have some pure fresh water species of nerite that can reproduce in fresh water.

And Zikofski, the white things on the log do look a lot like eggs of snails, and since you don't have nerites my money is on the zebras.

Baccus said:
I say the vast majority of commonly kept nerite snails because in Australia it looks like we might have some pure fresh water species of nerite that can reproduce in fresh water.

I want some!

The zebra snails will be nerites, I have some. I also have some red ones (which I've seen called red onion or racing stripe nerites) and a horned nerite which is a lot smaller. Have a look at the pic of the zebra nerite here

I would defo go with the zebra snails as the culprits. and yes they are a type of nerite snail. mine lay the dam thing everywhere.

tcamos said:

I want some!

Sorry Tcamos, the only place I have heard of possibly these fresh water breeding nerites living is in the Northern Territory possibly even northern Western Australia. And trust me they are not commonly kept here so I think overseas would have even less chance of their hands on them.

Maybe someday. They are great snails for both marine and FW.

Yep I have the zebra nerite so I should be safe now my next question is going back to the tones of microscopic things I the tank what are they and are they safe will the shrimp use them as food? If not the how can I get rid of them?without draining the whole thing completely and possibly killing shrimp :( baby's look like there going great no idea what they feed one as I only feed the shrimp once every few days maybe there eating the algae lol

Shrimp will find all sorts of microscopic foods to eat and pic over. Just never let them eat deceased shrimp. Its fine for them to eat their shed skins but not the actual corspes of their dearly departed.
As their numbers increase maybe look increasing the feeding but with live plants they still shouldn't need a lot of food.

haha nice :) when i get to ausi i am defiantly going to get some shrimp in a larger proper tank want to do a waterfall kinda feature inside with slate moss and anubias crypts as well :D maybe get some frogs as well if they can live peacefully together 

I've had a similar run. Lost my female cherry (I only had 1 left after a brief water issue) and spotted a couple of shrimplets when taking her out.

Problem is they're so small I'm not sure if they're hers or the offspring of the CRS's in the same tank.

I am guessing when you talk about keeping frogs when out in Australia, that your talking about green tree frogs, or similar since we don't have aquatic frogs like African Clawed frogs out here. Also if you keep tree frogs they are going to need a totally enclosed secure tank/ enclosure. I don't know if green tree frogs are really sold as pets (some pet shops in Melbourne maybe do but I am doubtful about Brisbane), in many places, and you will more than likely need a licence to keep frogs as pets any way. Basically in Australia if its native then to be kept it needs a permit/ licence. If its introduced, the only time you need a licence is if the animal is usually regarded as a noxious pest like foxes.

Cant be long now till you make the big move
balloon.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back