Ask Questions About Cycling

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Do any of the chemicals you add take care of ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates?

Do any of the chemicals you add take care of ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates?
No, I only add conditioner and that was before I added ammonia. Ammonia levels were constant at 2ppm for quite a while, then started dropping with no sign of nitrates or nitrites. I'm trying to start the cycle.

No, I only add conditioner and that was before I added ammonia. Ammonia levels were constant at 2ppm for quite a while, then started dropping with no sign of nitrates or nitrites. I'm trying to start the cycle.
Yes I know, but some conditioners may "remove" ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. What all chemicals do you add again? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to piece it together

Yes I know, but some conditioners may "remove" ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. What all chemicals do you add again? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to piece it together
It's Tetra Aquasafe Plus, I'm not sure what it removes but these are the ingredients:

Attachments

• 16643332822248637970092582710429.jpg
    16643332822248637970092582710429.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 54
It's Tetra Aquasafe Plus, I'm not sure what it removes but these are the ingredients:
I'm not good with chemicals and stuff so I will let others chime in on that aspect but I don't THINK that it removes ammonia or anything else except for chlorine...

I think there was a thread about this made a while back. I am unsure of how to find it as I forget what it is called but I do remember them having your same issue

Ingredients:
Sodium thiosulphate - removes chlorine
Chelating compounds - bind metals
Polyvinyl pyrolidones (PVP) - "stimulates slime coat"
Organic hydrocolloids - probably more slime coat stuff
The rest don't really do anything

In other words, only removes chlorine and does not detoxify ammonia.

Good morning from Gloucestershire :)

I thought my tank had cycled 😂 the api master test gave me 0ammonia 0nitrite and 80ppm nitrate (image 1) so
I did a 25% water change and added two Amano shrimps..

I tested the water the day after and both ammonia and nitrite were around .50ppm nitrate 40ppm (tap water usually 20ppm) (image 2)

I have tested again this morning and ammonia is down to 0.25 and nitrite is between 1 & 2 ppm (image 3) haven’t bothered testing for nitrate

Should I just ride it out or test the nitrate?

Attachments

• 5FD92A42-66C4-477F-A575-725B77629B1B.jpeg
    5FD92A42-66C4-477F-A575-725B77629B1B.jpeg
    325.3 KB · Views: 55
  • FCAA8155-E3DB-458C-9FC4-893E33E74F5B.jpeg
    FCAA8155-E3DB-458C-9FC4-893E33E74F5B.jpeg
    259.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 18AF263C-7408-458E-86BD-7B3C39087603.jpeg
    18AF263C-7408-458E-86BD-7B3C39087603.jpeg
    250.7 KB · Views: 52
Since you have livestock in there (shrimps) you need to keep ammonia and nitrite as near zero as possible. The way to do this is by doing a water change whenever either read above zero. However, the tank will cycle to deal with ammonia made by 2 shrimps. Add fish or more shrimps and you need to grow more bacteria.
I see you have live plants in the tank, though most seem to be slow growers. More, fast growing plants will help with ammonia though not nitrite.

PS, is that a java fern I see rooted in the substrate? It's a bit hard to tell behind the test tubes. If it is java fern, it should not be planted in the substrate ot the rhizome will rot. it is usually grown attached to decor.

The Java is stuck to some drift wood :) came from the store that way :)
I got some new plants today :)
Since you have livestock in there (shrimps) you need to keep ammonia and nitrite as near zero as possible. The way to do this is by doing a water change whenever either read above zero. However, the tank will cycle to deal with ammonia made by 2 shrimps. Add fish or more shrimps and you need to grow more bacteria.
I see you have live plants in the tank, though most seem to be slow growers. More, fast growing plants will help with ammonia though not nitrite.

PS, is that a java fern I see rooted in the substrate? It's a bit hard to tell behind the test tubes. If it is java fern, it should not be planted in the substrate ot the rhizome will rot. it is usually grown attached to decor

I'm probably looking at a plant and mistaking it for java fern :lol:

I've spotted the thread about the plants, those will help with cycling. In case you haven't found it yet, plants use ammonia as fertiliser and they don't turn it into nitrite or nitrate. Bacteria will grow slowly in the background but the plants will do most of the work. The faster growing the plant, the more ammonia it can take up.

I'm probably looking at a plant and mistaking it for java fern :lol:

I've spotted the thread about the plants, those will help with cycling. In case you haven't found it yet, plants use ammonia as fertiliser and they don't turn it into nitrite or nitrate. Bacteria will grow slowly in the background but the plants will do most of the work. The faster growing the plant, the more ammonia it can take up.
Oh wow so that’s what they do in idiots terms thanks for explaining it so well. Glad I’m giving time for my bb to build up I’m hoping to get away with a water change every two weeks if possible as I don’t want to upset the shrimp too much.

Oh wow so that’s what they do in idiots terms thanks for explaining it so well. Glad I’m giving time for my bb to build up I’m hoping to get away with a water change every two weeks if possible as I don’t want to upset the shrimp too much.

More regular, not fewer, water changes mean healthier fish. If all you intend in this tank are two shrimp, you could probably get by with only bi-weekly water changes, but certainly not with fish.

More regular, not fewer, water changes mean healthier fish. If all you intend in this tank are two shrimp, you could probably get by with only bi-weekly water changes, but certainly not with fish.
Ahh I see ok thank you, I’m hoping for a group of upto 2” fish in there aswell so weekly water changes will be in the diary 📔

Ahh I see ok thank you, I’m hoping for a group of upto 2” fish in there aswell so weekly water changes will be in the diary 📔

My article pinned to this forum will explain the benefits of water changes and why they are essential.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back