Any advice on building a fish room?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

shaziasadiqah

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Since me and husband are now getting serious with this hobby we plan on make a fish room.

we now have 4 tanks running, 57gal, 25gal, 16gal and a 10gal.

our main question is there any special system required for a fish room? Like draining/water change system and filtration system?

we plan on buying a big airpump that could be switched to be battery powered one when the power went out, it will have 3600 liter per hour power to run all the sponge filters we have in our tanks and for the bigger tanks (57gal and 25gal) we plan to add hang on back to be the main filter.

as of right now we donā€™t have any special water change system, we just have our own siphon and fish nett for each tank and thatā€™s it, we change the water 50% each week.

anyone who willing to share their advice according to fish room and keeping multiple tanks will be very welcome, thank you :)

If you are going to breed fish. Small tanks at the top of stands large tanks at the bottom. Then you can siphon the small tanks into the larger ones. Heat the room rather than each tank. If it is possible have some early morning sun strike hitting the tanks ( Trigger for spawning ). Don't try to light every tank, have movable light fittings. The largest air pump you can find and run all the filters off the air supply. One central drain so you can dump water onto the floor. An area for books microscope and test equipment. Room to expand:)

Thatā€™s great advice above , my advice was gonna be donā€™t do it ahahah

I don't think heating is a problem where they are located (Indonesia). :)

Have clear or tinted fibreglass panels in the roof to let more light in. Alternate tin then clear, then tin, then clear, etc.
Have a door at each end of the room so air can flow through and help reduce mould growing in there.

Build 2, 3 or 4 tier stands. Have 8-12 inches of space above each tank so you can easily get into them to clean them and work in them.
The bottom shelf of the stands should be at least 6 inches off the ground so you can get under them to clean and so the tanks are high enough to gravel clean and drain water out of.

I prefer to have the same size tanks on each stand, but you can set them up however you like.

I had triple tier stands and used the top tanks for water holding. I filled the top tanks with tap water, added dechlorinator and any buffers I wanted. Then left it to aerate for a week before using it for water changes.
When it came to filling the tanks during water changes, I simply syphoned water from the top tanks into the tanks under it. I used some black poly pipe/ irrigation tube that was about 20mm diameter. I had a tap on the end of the poly pipe to turn it on and off.

I had a piece of clear hose about 1 inch diameter x 20 meters long, which I ran out the door onto the lawn. I used a 1 or 2 litre plastic drink bottle as the gravel cleaner and the hose fitted nicely on the top of the bottle. I could gravel clean and drain a 400 litre tank in a couple of minutes. Then fill it in the same time from water in the tank above it.

Since me and husband are now getting serious with this hobby we plan on make a fish room.

we now have 4 tanks running, 57gal, 25gal, 16gal and a 10gal.

our main question is there any special system required for a fish room? Like draining/water change system and filtration system?

we plan on buying a big airpump that could be switched to be battery powered one when the power went out, it will have 3600 liter per hour power to run all the sponge filters we have in our tanks and for the bigger tanks (57gal and 25gal) we plan to add hang on back to be the main filter.

as of right now we donā€™t have any special water change system, we just have our own siphon and fish nett for each tank and thatā€™s it, we change the water 50% each week.

anyone who willing to share their advice according to fish room and keeping multiple tanks will be very welcome, thank you :)
Hello, how are you? :)
Anyways this plan sounds amazing and exciting.. For water changing have you ever heard of a drip system? It's essentially where special piping will drip water into the aquarium and take as much water thats dripped in out of the aquarium but this can be very expensive. In all honesty I'd go with large sumps for filtration as you'd likely be able to connect multiple tanks to each one and then in most aquariums also have sponge filters as backups.. Water changes are inevitable and even with drip systems but they do make life alot easier! I would actually advise going the cheaper route when it comes to what you want to put you're aquariums on and buying a heavy duty storage rack which holds 375kg each shelf would hold potentially 350litres of water! I'd also seperate large tanks on a few shelves and small tanks on the others so then the sump systems are all balanced and organised to make life easier haha. You could actually put a drain pipe usually used for rain in the room somewhere so you could syphon water straight into there and it will just make its way outside!

If you are going to breed fish. Small tanks at the top of stands large tanks at the bottom. Then you can siphon the small tanks into the larger ones. Heat the room rather than each tank. If it is possible have some early morning sun strike hitting the tanks ( Trigger for spawning ). Don't try to light every tank, have movable light fittings. The largest air pump you can find and run all the filters off the air supply. One central drain so you can dump water onto the floor. An area for books microscope and test equipment. Room to expand:)
Thank you :)

we donā€™t specifically have multiple tanks for breeding but we do have one breeding tank and grow out tank for guppies and so far they are pretty easy to take care of.

my tanks are mainly community tanks and my husband tanks are nano tanks heavily planted, i think the fish is not his most interest but heā€™s more into growing the plants, so i think for that matter good lighting system is a must at least for his tanks.

my tanks are planted too but not crazy. Iā€™m interested on building a biotope tank but still do more research on that.

the draining and water change system sounds great, iā€™ll talk about it with my husband :)

I don't think heating is a problem where they are located (Indonesia). :)

Have clear or tinted fibreglass panels in the roof to let more light in. Alternate tin then clear, then tin, then clear, etc.
Have a door at each end of the room so air can flow through and help reduce mould growing in there.

Build 2, 3 or 4 tier stands. Have 8-12 inches of space above each tank so you can easily get into them to clean them and work in them.
The bottom shelf of the stands should be at least 6 inches off the ground so you can get under them to clean and so the tanks are high enough to gravel clean and drain water out of.

I prefer to have the same size tanks on each stand, but you can set them up however you like.

I had triple tier stands and used the top tanks for water holding. I filled the top tanks with tap water, added dechlorinator and any buffers I wanted. Then left it to aerate for a week before using it for water changes.
When it came to filling the tanks during water changes, I simply syphoned water from the top tanks into the tanks under it. I used some black poly pipe/ irrigation tube that was about 20mm diameter. I had a tap on the end of the poly pipe to turn it on and off.

I had a piece of clear hose about 1 inch diameter x 20 meters long, which I ran out the door onto the lawn. I used a 1 or 2 litre plastic drink bottle as the gravel cleaner and the hose fitted nicely on the top of the bottle. I could gravel clean and drain a 400 litre tank in a couple of minutes. Then fill it in the same time from water in the tank above it.

thank you!

yup since weā€™re in Indonesia we never use heater because the water already warm enough. I hate heaters because the first and last time i use one to treat ich on my neon tetras it failed on me and basically boiled all my neon tetra in qt tank :(

we use wooden tables now to hold our smaller tanks and for the big one (57gal) we use the metal rack that came with it.

can i just use sponge filter with big air pump for all the tank though? Like as big as 5 tank the water volume of each tank? Would it be okay or should i have some mechanical filtration, too? i donā€™t mind having to water change the takns more often, though. I think water change is fun in a way.

Sponge filters are fine for tanks. In big tanks you have bigger sponges and more of them. If you Google "air operated sponge filters" you will be able to see a wide range of sponge filters that run off an air pump.

The sponges act as a mechanical and biological filter. The gunk gets drawn into the sponge and trapped there (mechanical filter). The good filter bacteria live in the sponge and help keep the water clean (biological filter).

Sponge filters should be cleaned at least once a month. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. To clean a sponge filter, squeeze the sponge in a bucket of tank water and re-use the sponge. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn.

Sponge filters are fine for tanks. In big tanks you have bigger sponges and more of them. If you Google "air operated sponge filters" you will be able to see a wide range of sponge filters that run off an air pump.

The sponges act as a mechanical and biological filter. The gunk gets drawn into the sponge and trapped there (mechanical filter). The good filter bacteria live in the sponge and help keep the water clean (biological filter).

Sponge filters should be cleaned at least once a month. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. To clean a sponge filter, squeeze the sponge in a bucket of tank water and re-use the sponge. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn.

i only use sponge filter in my tanks now, the 57gal use large sponge filter that i stacked together so there are two large sponge filter in there and the rest use medium size except for the 10gal i use small one.

with maintenance of 50% water change each week and i clean the sponges once a month using the tank water in a bucket. I have no problem at all.

my sponges have been running since october and the youngest have been running for 3 months.

i guess iā€™ll stick to sponge filters then :)

thank you :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back