Angelfish Spawning Diary

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sophie

Fish Herder
Reaction score
It's been about a month now since my Angelfish decided to spawn for the first time, they've spent a lot of time reconditioning themselves and this morning I spotted them cleaning several Anubias leaves in the tank with their papilla on display - naughty. I knew they would be spawning sometime soon as I woke to find one of the two had a rip in his caudal fin - obviously had a bit of an argument in the night!​
 ​
Hopefully they won't get tempted to eat them after Day 1 like they did last time. Didn't even make 48 hours until they got peckish. First time parents eh? They chose an annoying time because it's water change day today so I've had to postpone for the time being. Really chuffed I have actually witnessed her laying and him fertilizing them though, they did it overnight last time. I'm including all the specifications of my tank for anyone who might be interested in the conditions they are in.​
 ​
Juwel Vision 260L
Fluval 406 external canister and a Fluval U4 internal for filtration
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
Water Change: 30-50% fortnightly
Temperature: 27 degrees celcius
Tank Companions: In signature
Fully established now for 9 months - The Angelfish are about the same age
Plants: Java Fern, Anubias, Vallisneria, Rotala Indica, Red Tiger Lotus
 ​
There are at least twice as many eggs as the first time and she isn't finished yet (Dad is getting very stroppy with the camera - trying to photobomb everything!):
 ​
20130625_152706.jpg
 ​
 ​

Following. My angels haven't had their second spawn yet... Mine only went six hours before they got the munchies on their first batch. I'm about three weeks behind you in my angelfish escapades. :)

silenthawk2x3 said:
Following. My angels haven't had their second spawn yet... Mine only went six hours before they got the munchies on their first batch. I'm about three weeks behind you in my angelfish escapades.
smile.png

To be fair, I read a lot about them spawning and then most would spawn a few days after the first batch so when mine didn't I was slightly concerned they wouldn't at all - the same when they paired up. I think they are just slow :|
When they first spawned, it was the day after a water change so I thought that encouraged them, but they haven't spawned again through the last couple I've done, was going to try once more today and low and behold they've done it in dirty water.

What are you conditioning them with food wise?

My pair spawn every two weeks, and the first batch made it to the free swimming stage, but every batch after that the female has eaten the eggs within a couple days :blink: 

Always interesting to watch and follow this process, hopefully you'll have better luck with yours!!!!!

greenmumma141 said:
My pair spawn every two weeks, and the first batch made it to the free swimming stage, but every batch after that the female has eaten the eggs within a couple days
blink.png

Always interesting to watch and follow this process, hopefully you'll have better luck with yours!!!!!

Someone mentioned earlier it could be something to do with the community environment - they'd rather eat their own eggs than let any other fish come and eat them.

Yeah, I was thinking it probably had to do with the other fish. They would rather get the protein then if they can't protect them.  That's why I set up my 10g.. I'll be ready next time :)

Didn't even make 24 hours this time. Eaten once more! Greedy pigs :(

That's a bummer :(

I have 3 tiny little free swimming baby angels :)  This is as far as any have ever made it. I think my fry tank is going to be a success :yahoo:

greenmumma141 said:
That's a bummer :(

I have 3 tiny little free swimming baby angels :)  This is as far as any have ever made it. I think my fry tank is going to be a success :yahoo:
Yay congratulations :)

I don't know anything about breeding Angels, but is it possible to seperate eggs from the parents?

coolie said:
I don't know anything about breeding Angels, but is it possible to seperate eggs from the parents?
Yeah you can take the object they've laid the eggs on, out and do it that way,

Hi all I breed angelfish and have great success if they are in a tank with other fish its rarely going to work as mentioned angels will eat the fry instead of letting other fish have the protein. Ive got a separate tank in a spare room people walking by can cause stress and again they will eat fry mine spawn every 2-3 weeks normally I leave them with the parents until 3-4 days after free swimming then remove to a fry tank you'll need plenty of brine shrimp as the yolk sack will be gone. Then I do a thorough clean on pots ect then less than a week the process happens again. The best info I had is a video on YouTube type in angelfish breeding jazzy his videos are brilliant.

I don't intend to breed them properly anyway :p

fishmansam said:
Hi all I breed angelfish and have great success if they are in a tank with other fish its rarely going to work as mentioned angels will eat the fry instead of letting other fish have the protein. Ive got a separate tank in a spare room people walking by can cause stress and again they will eat fry mine spawn every 2-3 weeks normally I leave them with the parents until 3-4 days after free swimming then remove to a fry tank you'll need plenty of brine shrimp as the yolk sack will be gone. Then I do a thorough clean on pots ect then less than a week the process happens again. The best info I had is a video on YouTube type in angelfish breeding jazzy his videos are brilliant.

Im going to take a look, thanks :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back