Angelfish Spawned

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I am rehoming a few now to those who are interested in raising them now that they are at this stage. I have a definite 20-40 leaving with in the next week or so and this will give me more room to focus on the others.

That's amazing! Loving the progress reports.

You should just tank a photo of the tank, get the pic up on a big screen and count them in the picture. Makes it harder for them to swim away :good:

That's amazing! Loving the progress reports.

You should just tank a photo of the tank, get the pic up on a big screen and count them in the picture. Makes it harder for them to swim away
good.gif

Good Tip...the simplest ones are allways the best.

I tried doing that but with the plants I have in there a good amount hide. I will be separating them out into different tanks soon based on progression of growth so will try and get a good count then.

Alrighty....upgrade day today for the little ones!

They are being moved into separate tanks to spread them out based on development, and a select few who seem furthest along are being put in my 26 gallon as I may keep a couple who show interesting patterns.

Ok so Batch 1 of the Angelfish fry is 4 weeks old today, Batch 2 of the Angelfish fry have mostly disappeared lol (let them stay with the parents and I think the filter got them)...but just came home to batch 3!! When I left at 330, I told Steve (my husband) to watch them as I felt that they were going to lay while I was gone. Came home 3.5 hours later to two leaves covered and he hadn't noticed!!

Batch 1 - still doing great. most have been sold off at this point, kept a handful to raise up myself so I can choose which ones to keep.

Batch 2- seems to be all gone. Compared to batch 1 who I full removed around 12 days and had half separated from the time they were wigglers, it seems leaving them alone with the parents in the 72 gallon makes them unable to find sufficient food at feedings and they get stuck to the nylon covering the filter out take.

Batch 3 - wigglers as of this am, I snipped off the leaf and put it inside a jar clipped to the side of the parents tank to maintain temperature. They are not happy parents right now, swimming all over looking for their babies.

Batch 1 will be 5 weeks old tomorrow.
They have begun developing ventral fins and they are finely visible to the camera on my phone.
They are in a 26 gallon tank with 4 albino corydoras and one young albino bristlenose pleco.
http://youtu.be/ChmbJ8MMloQ

This was taken at feeding time. They have "graduated" to crushed flake!

No sign of any Batch 2 survivors.

Batch 3 is getting ready to leave the leaf. They should be freeswimming in a day or so. They are still in a jar in the parents tank, clipped to the side.

My cat Piglet loves watching Batch 1 and the cories! I had to set up a chair in front just for her!
IMAG1597.jpg

IMAG1599.jpg

Batch 1 Photos
IMAG1605.jpg

IMAG1606.jpg

IMAG1608.jpg

IMAG1615.jpg

IMAG1626.jpg

IMAG1627.jpg

IMAG1630.jpg

IMAG1634.jpg

I got to get some angels to breed them again, love their parenting skills, btw you can breed them in a community tank as long as there is plenty of cover, but they are VERY VERY aggressive and will kill anything if they continue to try to eat them, so beware if its a community tank, anyway nice angels
biggrin.png

EDIT: I only normally allow them to breed in a community tank because you see their true behaviour, protecting their eggs, and its more nature-like, mine would happily lay around 400 eggs and about 200 to a 100 of those would be fertilized, I can't keep them in my tanks, and I hate culling so I let natural selection pay its part in a community tank, that way only around 40 - 50 survive, which I can deal with.

I had it originally set up as a community tank with GBRs, a few other angels and a school of Harlequins in there but the father killed 2 rams and a handful of Harlequins with in the first week of having their first batch so right now they only have a few cories, a spotted raphael catfish and a young bristlenose plec.

I had it originally set up as a community tank with GBRs, a few other angels and a school of Harlequins in there but the father killed 2 rams and a handful of Harlequins with in the first week of having their first batch so right now they only have a few cories, a spotted raphael catfish and a young bristlenose plec.

The male angel killed 2 rams? Wow I never figured they were capable of that, Either way I will likely never intervene with fish breeding unless its hard to get them to breed, or the parents are stressed or are getting ill from looking after them.

Most reactions

trending

Back