Angel trouble

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Burtweiser

Reaction score
Ive had a 46 gal bow front for about 6mo with about 12 angels. About 3 weeks ago I noticed one had died. So I counted and realize that I had lost three since the last time I had counted. I started keeping my eye on the tank and noticed a couple of them we're becoming territorial and I chalked up the fish losses to this. So the following weekend I purchased a 90 gallon, moved my Oscars from a 55 to the 90 and put the angels in the 55 to give them more territory. I lost another Angel shortly after the move, but after that everything seemed fine for two weeks till this morning when I found another angel struggling to survive. The others seem to be doing fine. Anybody have any idea as to what my problems could be? My water test show no ammonia, no nitrite, and 40 PPM nitrate. All ideas welcome and appreciated.

My ph is 7.8, temperature 78, tankmates are; 1 bristlenose, 1 upsidedown cat and 1 Black ghost knife which was added yesterday along with 5 other angels. He just died. The struggling angel that is.

To clarify, only the ghost knife was added yesterday. The angels have been together for about 6 months.

1 Black ghost knife
I hope you have a big tank for a BGK, when full grown they require a tank at least 8 feet long by 3 feet tall by 3 feet wide.

So I counted and realize that I had lost three since the last time
Just curious, how do 3 fish die and decompose in a tank without you noticing?

Yes... I have other big tanks. Tank space is not a problem. He'll be going in the arrowana tank when he's big enough. Just curious if anybody had any insight into my angel problem.

It was heavily planted and decorated and the the 2 cats were apparently efficient undertakers. Only found 1 of the 3.

There are a couple of things I see here that may be related to, if not directly the cause of, the angelfish losses.

Cichlids are now known to be more sensitive to nitrate, which should be kept under 20 ppm. Are your nitrates at 40 ppm solely from within the aquarium, or is nitrate in the source water (and if yes, at what level in the source water)? I'm not suggesting nitrates at 40 ppm killed the angelfish one by one, but it would weaken them and this is then one factor as it makes them stressed and more susceptible to disease and less able to handle other things such as the hierarchy.

How often are water changes, and what volume of the tank?

You mention aggressive behaviours, but depending what these are, this may be normal or may be getting more serious. Sitting without any movement for 30 minutes and longer in front of the tank can be very instructive; after a time, fish forget you are there (be very still) and with the "food" source out of their mind can return to their normal interactive behaviours. A group of angelfish, which is a shoaling species, will develop an hierarchy, and there will be continual pushing and bunting, but nothing more. If it reaches the stage of chasing a subordinate fish, that spells trouble. If this had occurred without your seeing it, it would certainly be one explanation of the deaths.

How do they react at feeding? This can sometimes clue us in to developing issues.

What is the light over the tank like? Angelfish appreciate dim lighting, which floating plants can achieve nicely; in bright light they will be again more stressed, another factor in the general scheme of things.

How large are the angels? Twelve in a 46 bowfront is OK with 2 inch fish, but not for very long.

Byron.

I change roughly 50% every Sunday. Very little to no nitrate in my tap water. I'll up the water changes to twice a week and get some floating plants. My little guys are 3-4" from fin to fin.
I appreciate your time and information. I'm definitely taking everything you said in consideration.

Most reactions

trending

Back